Re: EVA (ethylene-vinyl acetate ) toxicity Off-gassing?

Mainly I am concerned about the various plasticizers being released over = time.

I think you need to define toxins. Most of us would not consider PVC = to > off gas toxic products. What chemical species are you concerned = about? >=20 > Larry Effler >=20 > joe wrote: >=20 > > I was wondering if EVA plastics have the same potential problems for > > room temp off-gassing of toxins as PVC and related plastics? Also, = I > > was wondering if anyone knows where a non-slip (rubber-mat type) = floor > > coverings can be found made of dense, cross linked eva. > > > > Please email directly if possible > > > > Joe
Reply to
joe

Plasticizers are too heavy to have a significant vapor pressure.

Considering that the government says that vinyl toys are safe for children

, I wouldn't be to concerned about plasticizers. Keep in mind that children will (not might, but will) put toys in their mouths. And keep in mind that they are children, the basis for a huge amount of fearmongering by anyone with a political agenda.

John

Reply to
John Spevacek

Mainly I am concerned about the various plasticizers being released over time.(snip) Most EVA resins are internally (polymer chain) plasticized. The phthalate plasticizers are more broadly used in polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resins to control softness and elasticity. The DOP is more likely to migrate than vaporize. When the DOP migrates from the PVC on your car's dashboard to the foam underneath, the resulting loss of elasticity and volume, together with oxidation, and yes, some vapor loss of DOP, causes it to crack.-Jitney

Reply to
jitney