Re: EVA (ethylene-vinyl acetate ) toxicity Off-gassing?

Mainly I am concerned about the various plasticizers being released over time.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (joe) wrote in message

Plasticizers are too heavy to have a significant vapor pressure.
Considering that the government says that vinyl toys are safe for children http://www.acsh.org/press/releases/vinyltoys062199.html , I wouldn't be to concerned about plasticizers. Keep in mind that children will (not might, but will) put toys in their mouths. And keep in mind that they are children, the basis for a huge amount of fearmongering by anyone with a political agenda.
John
Mainly I am concerned about the various plasticizers being released over time.(snip) Most EVA resins are internally (polymer chain) plasticized. The phthalate plasticizers are more broadly used in polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resins to control softness and elasticity. The DOP is more likely to migrate than vaporize. When the DOP migrates from the PVC on your car's dashboard to the foam underneath, the resulting loss of elasticity and volume, together with oxidation, and yes, some vapor loss of DOP, causes it to crack.-Jitney