Re: EVA (ethylene-vinyl acetate ) toxicity Off-gassing?

I think you need to define toxins. Most of us would not consider PVC to off gas toxic products. What chemical species are you concerned about?
Larry Effler
joe wrote:

Mainly I am concerned about the various plasticizers being released over time.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (joe) wrote in message

Plasticizers are too heavy to have a significant vapor pressure.
Considering that the government says that vinyl toys are safe for children http://www.acsh.org/press/releases/vinyltoys062199.html , I wouldn't be to concerned about plasticizers. Keep in mind that children will (not might, but will) put toys in their mouths. And keep in mind that they are children, the basis for a huge amount of fearmongering by anyone with a political agenda.
John
There are two ways to get softness with EVA. One is to destroy more crystallinity by using a grade with high VA content. However, these grades tend to be more expensive and lower in molecular weight. The loss in molecular weight results in lower physical properties and can make them difficult to process, especially if you plan to extrude them. The other way is soften EVA is to use plasticizers. However, unlike PVC which typically uses phthalate ester plasticizers, EVA can use modest amounts of paraffinic plasticizers. These plasticizers do not have the alleged health concerns that phthalate esters have attached to them.
Larry