Stability/Exercise Ball out-gases toxics...

Hello Everyone, I have a problem that I'm hoping someone can solve. About four weeks ago I purchased a big 75 cm stability/exercise ball that is
manufactured from some sort of elastic material that is giving off fumes that are unbelievably toxic. The smell is horrendous and when I'm around the ball for too long I feel like vomiting. I gather these balls aren't really designed to be used in a residential home or apartment and are much more suited to live in a gymnasium. None-the- less I now own this piece of whatever it is and I can't get rid of the smell. I posted this message on a home remedy website and someone suggested wiping it down with vinegar. I tried that and it almost seems like smell is worse. Someone else suggested I wipe it down with chlorine. What I'd really like to do is put it in an oven and pull a vacuum on it for a few days while heat curing it but I don't have that kind of equipment. Is there some sort of coating I can spray on it to seal it that will be equally as elastic and not as volitile or toxic? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Mechan wrote:

...
I think you're on the right track with the heat/vacuum idea. Can you warm it up in a well-ventilated area somewhere? Maybe set it on a hot roof on a sunny day, leave it in the trunk of your car on a hot day, or something like that...
Maybe you can set your oven to a very low temperature and open your windows. Your home will smell pretty bad for a day, but you may be able to get rid of the residual smell. Check the oven before you do this... the temperature setting may be very different than the actual temperature, especially at the temperatures you want (below boiling point of water).
Deflate the ball before you do any of these.
I doubt you'll find a good coating for this. That ball deforms greatly when used, and your coating is bound to crack and eventually flake off. Or worse, the solvent in the coating could embrittle your ball, making it crack.
Good luck!
--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Polytechforum.com is a website by engineers for engineers. It is not affiliated with any of manufacturers or vendors discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.