Stability/Exercise Ball out-gases toxics...

Hello Everyone, I have a problem that I'm hoping someone can solve. About four weeks ago I purchased a big 75 cm stability/exercise ball that is
manufactured from some sort of elastic material that is giving off fumes that are unbelievably toxic. The smell is horrendous and when I'm around the ball for too long I feel like vomiting. I gather these balls aren't really designed to be used in a residential home or apartment and are much more suited to live in a gymnasium. None-the- less I now own this piece of whatever it is and I can't get rid of the smell. I posted this message on a home remedy website and someone suggested wiping it down with vinegar. I tried that and it almost seems like smell is worse. Someone else suggested I wipe it down with chlorine. What I'd really like to do is put it in an oven and pull a vacuum on it for a few days while heat curing it but I don't have that kind of equipment. Is there some sort of coating I can spray on it to seal it that will be equally as elastic and not as volitile or toxic? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Are you using a Thera-Band exercise ball. Those are said to be "made of a specially formulated vinyl compound" ( http://www.pmtionline.com/index/Prod/6_747_351 ), which in turn could release some monomeric vinyl chloride ( http://www.eco-usa.net/toxics/vinylcl.shtml ) and thus a mild, sweet odor. It appears these balls are recommended for indoor use!?
Either it goes away with time, depending on the concentration, or not. I doubt you can wipe or wash it off. Perhaps you can wrap around some transparent, odorless plastic foil and seal off the ends of the foil air tight, if you know what I mean ...
"Unbelievably toxic" would be if you couldn't speak about it any more ....! Before that happens, I'd go back to where I bought this ball to get my money back.
Mechan wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
As Rolf Indicates, if the smell is coming from something in the plastic, it will decrease over time, although it will never go away completely. Try leaving the ball alone in the garage, attic or storage shed for a few weeks or months. That should result in a dramatic decrease in the odor. You can accelerate the process by putting somewhere warm. An attic in the summertime would be ideal. However, now that's if Fall, you could try placing it in a garage or storage shed equipped with a space heater. Of course be careful with the space heater. Leave plenty of space around it to avoid igniting a fire.
Larry Effler

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Unfortunately, the (un)pleasantness of an odor is not correlated to its toxicity. Cyanide smells like almonds, phosgene smells like fresh cut grass. And keep in mind that concentration cannot be quantified by your nose. When you smell a natural gas leak, you are smelling the hydrogen sulfer that has been added since the gas is odorless, but the H2S isn't even at parts per billion. So the score then is natural gas: 99.9999999% pure is oderless, H2S at 0.00000001% has a strong smell.
I can't imagine that it is residual vinyl chlorine monomer (VCM). The government watches VCM levels and restricts them to very low levels.
If it is palsticizer, your idea of a vacuum oven would help remove plasticizers, but remember - the plasticizers are there for a reason. Take them all out and you will have rigid plastic that you could plumb your house with.
Assuming you could find a spray or dip that would 1) stick to the ball, and 2) be sufficiently flexible, the adhesion will degrade over time. The plasticizers will keep diffusing to the surface and would build up at the interface with the coating. If they don't soften the coating, they certainly will ruin the adhesion.
The bottom line: you will not be happy long term with this ball.
John Aspen Research, - www.aspenresearch.com Turning Questions into Answers
Opinions expressed herein are my own and may not represent those of my employer.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Polytechforum.com is a website by engineers for engineers. It is not affiliated with any of manufacturers or vendors discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.