what can leach off siliconized polypropylene and act like a surfactant?

Hello, I am seeking more information about siliconized polypropylene. I have a background in molecular biology and have noticed that something leaches off siliconized polypropylene tubes, which act like a surfactant or detergent, or somehow make SDS micelles more concentrated or more stable. Does anyone know why? And what exactly does "siliconized" polypropylene mean?, I have been unable to find much information about how it is manufactured. Thank you, Kelly

Reply to
Kelly Price

siliconized is a generic term for silane treated to lower the surface tension of the plastic. Gelest sell dozens of them - some are hydrophobic while other have amine groups etc. which can produce high surface tensions (easily wetted surfaces).

If the coating is not cured properly or an improper silane is used - they can leach out and act as a surfactant.

Gregg

Gregg

Reply to
Gregg