Re: Polypropylene

As part of a research study for polypropylene (PP) filters I am

> interested in different analysis techniques to indicate the presence > of PP. > > Does anyone know if IR is a suitable technique? Even for small amounts > (ppm level)? > I know that a clarity test can be an option to indicate that a product > might contain PP. But this test will not be trustfull when for > instance toluene is used, because PP will dissolve in toluene. > > Hopefully someone can give me some suggestions. > > Best regards, > > Y.N. van den Berg

DSC (Differential Scanning Calorimetry) would maybe be your best bet, look for a melting peak at around 165 deg C.

Reply to
The Mekon

Sorry, but polyolefines like PP (and even worse pe) show very low intensity spectra with few bands. So these components are only detectable in larger quantities and when there aren't too many IR-active other substances with intensive bands around.

Reply to
dave.lister