Re: How to etch the rubber particles in the ethlyene propylene rubber (EPR) for SEM ?

Purpose: to see the morphology of EPR ( distribution of rubber particles) by

> SEM > > What I have known now is > Use 100% hexane 1min ~ 5mins : it will dissolve the rubber particles and > the amorphous part of PP, so I can not see the morphology (only

crystalline

part of PP left )!! > > I also know I can use heptane or xylene to etch it but I have to know the > time for etching! > > Thank you >

I have no experience in heptane/xylene etching I'd recommend trying either permanganic etching (Olley, Hodge and Bassett, J.Polym.Sci. Polym.Phys.Edn,

1979, 176, 627 or Olley and Bassett, Polymer, 1982, 23, 1702) or Ruthenium tetroxide staining (Wolfe, Hasan and Campbell, Chem. Commun. 1970, 1979, 1420 or Montezinos, Wells, Burns, J.Polym.Sci.Lett.Edn, 1985, 23, 421), both of these have been used to good effect in my research group. Staining is probably your best bet for characterising the rubbery phase.
Reply to
The Mekon