TPE by melt compounding?

Where can I find basic formulations for polymer mixing by melt compounding? I tried google, but I did not succeed, maybe I used bad keywords, I appreciate your hints or tips.

Thanks, Bernd

Reply to
Bernd Schmitt

Depends on what you want to mix! TPE with another thermoplastic? A good start would be to ask your TPE supplier, because the type of TPE needs to be selected accordingly..

Perhaps this link gives you some ideas ...

"Bernd Schmitt" schrieb im Newsbeitrag = news:bglm89$pato5$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-27199.news.uni-berlin.de...

Reply to
Rolf Wissmann

Sorry, this was misleading. I am looking for a possibility to produce a polymerblend by melt compounding. I thought (hoped) there would exist some easy/basic formulations for e.g. TPE.

www: Olefinic-based TPEs are hard polymer/elastomer combinations www: consisting of fine dispersions of hard thermoplastic polymer, often www: polypropylene, and an elastomer interspersed in co-continuous www: phases. The most important commercial polypropylene products are www: combined with ethylene-propylene-diene monomer(EPDM) or www: ethylene-propylene copolymer(EPR). Nitrile, butyl and natural www: rubbers are also used as the elastomer and halogenated polyolefins www: (e.g., PVC) can be used as the hard polymer to form various grades. www: Intensive mechanical mixing using high-shear compounding equipment www: creates the two-phase dispersion of thermoplastic olefins(TPOs).

Do I understand right? Is it possible to mix 2 or more polymers/rubbers using a twin screw extruder to get a TPO/TPE?

Thanks, Bernd

Reply to
Bernd Schmitt

Sure! PP-EPDM blends, for example ... ! Volume- and viscosity-ratios of = the two blend polymers will determine phase morphology i.e. which one is = going to be the continuous and which one is going to be the dispersed phase or = whether one gets a co-continuous morphology. The final morphology will then = determine the physical properties of the blend.

"Bernd Schmitt" schrieb im Newsbeitrag = news:bglqet$o6r2o$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-27199.news.uni-berlin.de...

polyolefins

equipment

polymers/rubbers=20

Reply to
Rolf Wissmann

That is right the way I would like to start. I am looking for formulations of PP-EPDM blends. I found only rough informations (e. g. in Saechtling "Polymer Handbook"). Do you know of more detailed literature (informations about manufacturer, brand, screw design, temperature ...)?

Thanks a lot, Bernd

Reply to
Bernd Schmitt

You could start reading some patents on the subject matter:

... and then you could contact one of the patent assignees for advice on = their most suitable EPDM for TPOs like:
... unless you are a producer of EPDM yourself, in which case you have = to do some homework ...

"Bernd Schmitt" schrieb im Newsbeitrag = news:bgoepl$qtr3p$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-27199.news.uni-berl> > "Bernd Schmitt" schrieb:

Reply to
Rolf Wissmann

For simple TPO formulations check out the technical information on the DuPont Dow Elastomer's web site

Their Engage ethylene elastomer is widely used in both hard and soft TPO applications. Likewise their Nordel IP and MG EDPM products are also used in TPO and TPV applications.

Larry Effler

Bernd Schmitt wrote:

Reply to
Larry Effler

Also, have you tried doin a patent or literature search? Abe Coran (inventor of Santoprene) would be a good one to search on. Aslo search on the names of key suppliers and compounders such as Monsanto, Exxon, Dow Chemical, DSM, Polyone, Teknor Apex, etc.

Larry Effler

compounding?

Reply to
Larry Effler