Advice regarding ME and MET

"Kelly Jones" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.boeing.com:

Thanks everyone for all of the info. I have decided to go the straight engineering route as opposed to the tech route. I realize that it will most likely be more work, but I also think it will be a greater reward, not only financially, but also intellectually.

I'll try to participate here as best as I can, when I'm not nose deep in my texts. :)

Again, thanks everyone for all of your assistance.

Reply to
PK

actually, no. I was offered the second job I applied for, and my GPA was only 3.55. ( I say 'only', but I worked my ass off for that 3.55, and am proud of myself for doing as well as I did.)

The feedback I've gotten has all been good. One employer said to me at a career fair that if she could hire all people with the life and work experience I had she'd be extremely happy. (I have experience as a line worker, team leader, and middle manager in a manufacturing environment, and have also co-owned a small business.)

I now work for the gov't, in my field, and while I have the same pay grade as people 15 years younger than me, that's fine. The gov't pay scale goes by years employed and job description, and while the pay may top out less than in the private sector, the benefits are better than anywhere I'd interviewed.

One company I spoke to did seem to be a "younger" set, but it also was a computer-parts startup and actually their business plan didn't impress me, and their benefits kinda sucked, so while their starting salary was about 5K higher than what I accepted w/the gov, I think I still am getting a better deal. For someone with a family, benefits/401(k)/life insurance matter a lot, as you know.

But that was the only company that seemed less receptive to an 'older' grad. No one else batted an eye, and everyone I spoke with (at career fairs, etc) seemed impressed with my experience and communication skills.

regards, karinne w

Reply to
k wallace

Just wanted to say as a returning adult student myself I have enjoyed reading all the posts from us old farts. I will be completing a double major in Atmospheric Science and Mechanical Engineering in the spring of 2008 at age 32.

Best Regards Charles

k wallace wrote:

Reply to
Gelarden