Another Pneumatic Cylinder Question

Cylinder A will be at 3,000psi while B is at ambient air pressure, while at other times it will be the exact opposite. Obviously I could use one cylinder to bring the other up to around 1,500psi with an ordinary line & valve. However, I would think there would be an easy way of using the entire compression energy of the 3,000psi cylinder to bring the other up to 3,000psi with almost no extra energy needed. Sorry if this question is stupid but I just don't have a clue where I would find the answer to it.

Reply to
Ken Butler

There is a lot of missing information. Maybe you can describe your setup a little more in depth. What are the bores and strokes of your cylinders? What are they plumbed to? What are they mechanically connected to? What is the source of air pressure to the cylinders? What valving in in system? What is it that you are trying to accomplish with this system?

Reply to
D.Miller

If you just open a valve between the cylinders suddenly, and there is even the tiniest hint of a drop of oil in the system, you have supplied all the necessary conditions for Diesel combustion. The apparatus will blow up in your face, and you will die.

Don't mess with high pressure air unless someone holds a gun to your head. Pretty much the same thing, actually.

-Mike-

Reply to
Mike Halloran

getting more than 1500 psi in the second cylinder is at best difficult--the

2nd law of thermodynamics gets in your way when you try to do that.

In addition--I'll second Mike Halloran's advice>>>3000 psi is not to be messed around with lightly; keep the word "fatal" in mind while planning your adventures

Reply to
Michael

I like to have comparison data to " get a handle " on things.

Calculating the energy in a cylinder is relatively easy, does anyone have a figure for the energy in a hand grenade for comparison... :-)

-- Jonathan

Barnes's theorem; for every foolproof device there is a fool greater than the proof.

To reply remove AT

difficult--the

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

I think I will just use a different system, because this will just end up being more complicated. It was originally supposed to be an easy way to very slightly adjust weight balance in a scale. I never thought of the safety problems of changing pressure so quickly or of the violations of any laws of physics. That said, I have never broken any bones or been severely burned, by any of my adventures :) Well there was the battery acid in the eye thing but it wasn't enough to cause any severe damage.

Reply to
Ken Butler