Burnished SS rods

We've been using 303 stainless, centerless ground, 0.125" diam, and running rods through a roll burnisher to provide smooth finish for low sliding friction. We now need to convert to 400 series SS, because we have to have a magnetic material (300 series is non-magnetic). The 416 samples we have are extremely hard to roll burnish...they get very hot running through the burnisher. Any suggestions for how to spec 400 series SS that's easier to roll burnish? Thanks. Paul Mathews

Reply to
Paul Mathews

Paul-

Property cold worked 301 is magnetic

Would a drawn & then burnished rod work for you?

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Cold-worked 300 series SS is 'slightly magnetic', but not sufficiently for our application. Thanks. Paul Mathews

Reply to
Paul Mathews