COTS Vibration Testing

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with COTS electronic vibration testing, specifically with the VME form factor. What I'm not sure about is if I need to supply a chassis for it to tested in, or should a custom jig be made for the test? I want to be able to power the board and run a simple test while the environmental testing is happing. How is this usually done? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks, Zac

Reply to
Zactacular

for best results you should be running the test in the chassis you will be using in service. typically in our avionics uses, we run vibe at the unit level: i.e. the cards in the chassis with the backplane. we instrument the cards with strain gauges and measure the cards and the chassis. remember, the VME connector (actually all module connectors) will add support along the bottom edge of the module and thus change the response of the card to vibe. (for the better) We usually always have the cards powered running BIT during vibe. It allows detection of cold solder joints that will not show up otherwise.

Reply to
Harry Andreas