Testing a 220V outlet for power

Hello all,

I recently purchased a multimeter & know little to nothing of how to use it to test outlet voltage. I wanted to verify that I have power going to a 220V outlet. I chose the 'ACV' option on the multimeter, and for the voltage (mine had 200 & 740 to choose from), I chose 740 to be safe.

The socket (as you probably know) consists of two slanted line shaped holes & a 'Lazy L' shaped hole. Which holes should I put the red electrode into & which should I put the black into?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply to
mckrs

An electrical engineer can get useful information from sticking the probes in any combination of the holes. Being able to interpret the readings is the key.

Which brings the question to, why do it?

If it is just to experiment with your multimeter- it might be better to stick to batteries, by all means whilst reading up on the theory of what should be appearing on each of the outlet pins relative to the others and what it means if the readings are different than expected. Few electricians will work with a live circuits unless they have to.

If it is because you are having problems with that socket, or with your electrical supply - then you need an electrician.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Stick your tongue in there boy.

Feltcher..

Reply to
Keen Feltcher

You should see 120v between the "L" holer and the other 2. 240v between the 2 without the "L".

Reply to
gfretwell

| I recently purchased a multimeter & know little to nothing of how to | use it to test outlet voltage. I wanted to verify that I have power | going to a 220V outlet. I chose the 'ACV' option on the multimeter, | and for the voltage (mine had 200 & 740 to choose from), I chose 740 to | be safe. | | The socket (as you probably know) consists of two slanted line shaped | holes & a 'Lazy L' shaped hole. Which holes should I put the red | electrode into & which should I put the black into?

Since I don't know what country you are in, how would I know that your socket has two slanted line shaped holes, and a "Lazy L" shaped hole?

In many countries in Europe, "220" volts comes from a socket with two round holes. In Australia, there are 2 slanted holes, but no "L" shaped hole. Even in the United States, not all "220" volt sockets are like that. For example the NEMA 6-15R and 6-30R has 2 horizontal slots and one round ground hole. The NEMA 14-50R has 3 vertical slots and one round hole.

A safer way to verify you have power is to use a "voltage detector". It is a device that has no metallic connection to the circuit, but can sense the existance of voltage within an inch or two of one of the hot wires. The one I have beeps and flashes when it is in front of a receptacle, and even along the wall where the wire runs inside.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam