Light socket to power outlet adaptor.

Apologies if this question is not on topic for this group...
Is there such a thing as a converter from a light bulb socket to mains
power? Something that could be used in a place where a power outlet is
not available, but a light bulb socket is?
This is for the US electrical system, FWIW.
Reply to
Loading thread data ...
Availible at most any hardware store. Two prong/ungrounded only (obviously)....and don't plan on loading it much if you have an aversion to the aroma of smoldering plastics.
Reply to
John Ray
Yes. Any hardware store will have them for around a dollar, often in your choice of ivory or brown. The number 758 at
formatting link
typical. You can also get an adapter to go the other way, to plug a light bulb into a standard outlet - see number 738 above.
If you want to have an outlet and keep the bulb, the 715/718 devices will let you do that. One of them has a pull chain switch for its bulb socket (the outlets are always on) and the other's bulb socket is always on.
Some things to watch out for when using these: they are typically rated at 660 W, which is a touch over 5 amps. The most common appliances that would exceed this limit are things that heat up (space heaters, hot plates, hair dryers, etc) and devices with larger motors, such as some larger power tools. Things like wall transformers/chargers (for cell phones, answering machines, laptop computers, power tool chargers, etc), many small kitchen appliances, most table lamps, and entertainment devices (radios, DVD players, VCRs, cable boxes, any TV set that one person can lift, stereos within reason, probably not including a full Marshall stack) should all be fine. Check the nameplate on the appliance to learn its rating in amps or watts. If the amp rating is 5 or less, or the watt rating is 660 or less, you should be good.
It is best to use these on a light socket that is on all the time or controlled by an on-off switch. A light socket that is controlled by a photocell or a dimmer switch should not be used. Also, use these devices only indoors, in dry locations.
Finally, these are not suitable for appliances that have three-prong (grounding) plugs. Even if you use an adapter, there is no place to connect the ground wire, which could create a hazardous situation.
(In the early part of the 20th century, electricity was primarily used for lighting. When electric appliances first became available, it was not unusal for their cords to end in bulb threads instead of a plug, since many homes only had bulb sockets.)
I hope this helps!
Matt Roberds
Reply to
formatting link
is typical. You can also get an adapter to go the other way, to plug
Sure does! Thank you Matt and John :o)
Reply to

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.