INT30 to MT adaptor

Question to all those out there who have more experience than me, is there such a thing as a INT 30 to Morse taper adaptor, similar to a R8 to MT sleeve that I have seen advertised.

I have seen a milling machine head with a INT 30 taper and all of my existing tooling is MT2, thus I am wondering if I go and purchase this head, will I be able to adapt my existing tooling or will I need to buy used tooling in INT 30 to match?

What do the experts think?

Cheers

Dave

Reply to
Steam Train Dave

30 to MT adapters certainly exist, though they're usually for drills & other tanged tooling. You might need to brutalise one with a cutting disc to allow a drawbar to pass through it. I don't see why it wouldn't work well, but you might need a longer drawbar. 30 int is better for mill tooling than MT, you might find a gradual switch over to 30 taper worthwhile as you find stuff at the right price.

I'm not one. Never trust an expert, I was advised 30 years ago by my then employer. Pretty sound advice,on the whole.

Tim Dutton Dry-Dock Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs Vintage diesel engine service

Reply to
Tim Leech

Arrand do one for about £55: 01664 454566

According to my catalogue, their's is open ended to allow a 3/8" BS draw bar through.

My experience is their stuff is pricey, but very nicely made (usua disclaimer)

-- Myford Mat

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:

this thread:

Myford Matt

RDG do a verynice 30-MT3 adaptor £20 +£5 p&p these are top quality Bought MT1,2,3, Stub arbours for shell end mills, Er32 collet holde and sidelocks.

Have a look on there e-bsy shop.

Try this link, if it doesnt work search RDG355 in ebay.

Just a satisfied cutomer etc.

A visit to the shop with a wedge of cash will normally produce discount if buying a bucket of items.

Steve Larne

-- Steve Larne

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Steve Larner's Profile:

this thread:

Steve Larner

Meant to add in my other post that INT30 and QC30 are not the same animal. The QC30 was a totally different flange which is critical to the QC locking.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

I use Int 30 and have MT2 and MT3 adaptors. I rarely use the adaptors because they lose me 3-4".

hth

Reply to
Roland Craven

You can go from QC30 to INT30 with a carbide end mill or a grinder though, can't you?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I use a 30int to 3M adapter. Iin order to allow the drawbolt to opperate on the 3M tooling I made up a special extension in 16ENT which threads into the 1/2 whit of the tool for about 3/4 ins and the rest is turned down to 10 mm being about 2 ins in lenght overall. This 10 mm end is threaded for about 1 inch with a 10 mm thread. Then I filed 2 flats 1 mm deep along the entire 10 mm section to allow it to pass through the tang holder of the adapter and so the 10mm thread with 2 flats on it sticks out of the adapter by about 3/4 ins and a new draw bar was made with a 10mm internal thread. So when I tighten the drawbar the 3m clarkson collet holder is pulled into the taper of the adapter and the adapter is also pulled into the spindle. True it is an increase in overhang but it is quiet rigid and it allows me to use the tooling I have. I can do a photo if needed. Yours in the workshop John

Reply to
hinkela2

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the responses, having read them through, had a look at RDG and the adaptors, thought about it and looked at my mill, I have decided to not go for this milling head and keep looking for a unit that may suit me better - possibly a small self contained head with a quill such as a Bridgeport, but probably a little smaller.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Dave

Reply to