power outlet

Hi,

I have a power outlet which is 240V, 10amp and have purcxhased equipment which is 15amp. Is there a transformer or some type of converter that I can purchase to change the amps? Or do I need to get an electrican in and rewire the outlet?

Thanks Hog

Reply to
Hog

Electrician.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

| I have a power outlet which is 240V, 10amp and have purcxhased | equipment which is 15amp. Is there a transformer or some type of | converter that I can purchase to change the amps? Or do I need to get | an electrican in and rewire the outlet?

A transformer that gives you 15 amps from 10 amps will change the voltage from 240 volts to 160 volts. I bet that's not what you want.

You probably need to rewrite the circuit or add an additional one. What country is this?

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Thanks for the advice. I am in Australia

Reply to
Hog

| Thanks for the advice. I am in Australia

These issues only exist in North America, Central America, some of the Caribbean islands, parts of northern South America, as well as Japan. The rest of the world is compatible. So I was assuming you were in one of the countries with an issue. In Australia, you have the correct voltage and even the same frequency, as Italy. All you need is a big enough circuit. No transformer can make more power; you don't need one. International appliances work on 220 to 240 volts, and mostly work on both 50 Hz and 60 Hz. Just call an electrician to have installed a circuit large enough, which is probably 15 or 16 amps depending on the standard circuit sizes there.

| snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote in message news:... |> On 18 Apr 2005 05:04:54 -0700 Hog wrote: |> |> | I have a power outlet which is 240V, 10amp and have purcxhased |> | equipment which is 15amp. Is there a transformer or some type of |> | converter that I can purchase to change the amps? Or do I need to get |> | an electrican in and rewire the outlet? |> |> A transformer that gives you 15 amps from 10 amps will change the |> voltage from 240 volts to 160 volts. I bet that's not what you want. |> |> You probably need to rewrite the circuit or add an additional one. |> What country is this?

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

In Australia the common power outlet is rated at 10 amps and to accomadate the few domestic appliances that are bigger ( some window air conditioners etc.) there is a 15 amp socket that is the same configuration as the 10 amp version except that the ground pin is larger to prevent the 15 amp device being used on a 10 amp circuit. A 10 amp device can still be used on the 15 amp circuit. As bigger wire and panel breaker/fuse are required then an electrician IS required. No electrical work is permitted by unlicensed people in Australia.

Reply to
John G

| In Australia the common power outlet is rated at 10 amps and to | accomadate the few domestic appliances that are bigger ( some window air | conditioners etc.) there is a 15 amp socket that is the same | configuration as the 10 amp version except that the ground pin is larger | to prevent the 15 amp device being used on a 10 amp circuit. A 10 amp | device can still be used on the 15 amp circuit. | As bigger wire and panel breaker/fuse are required then an electrician | IS required. No electrical work is permitted by unlicensed people in | Australia.

So hire an electrician.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam