Dayton Gear Motor 5K942 vs 5K942D -- Same?

I burned out a Dayton 5K942D and ordered a replacement, clearly specifying the D at the end of the model #. Instead I received a 5K942. I can easily see there's a difference in the wire connections. The original motor was purchased 6 years ago. Have they been replaced by at 5K942?

As something of an aside, a friend told me that there's sometimes a red button on a motor that will help 'restart' them if they are stuck--of something to that effect. I certainly don't see one on these motors. What's the story about the red button?

Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

Reply to
W. Watson

Dear W. Watson:

You'll have to ask Grainger. This position in the part number sequence is usually reserved for a "revision letter", indicating the manufacturer of the motor is the same, but something else in the design has changed. These "allowed" changes usually are (in the case of a motor) outside the domain of shaft geometry, motor mounting, and motor horsepower. Nearly anything else is fair game.

Probably either a breaker that trips on over-current, or a thermal overload with mechanical reset. Neither of these is an "overdrive".

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)