Removing Gear Box from Dayton Gear Motor

I purchased a Dayton 5K942 gear motor. The motor had burned out--windings on one side. A friend took one look at it, and said why did you get the gear box? Well, I'm certainly not experienced with motor, so that's my answer. As I understand it from Grainger, the price breakdown if $185 for the motor, and $100 for the gear box. At this point, it doesn't make sense to return it. However, it might make sense to take the gear box off in case the new one fails sometime. It looks like about 7 screws hold it on, but there's a coupler on the shaft that has no apparent way to remove it. Maybe there's some sort of key shoved into the space between the shaft and the coupler. I'm not even sure removing the 7 screws would do the trick.

Any suggestions on the above regarding prices, purchasing just the motor, or how to get the gear box off?

Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

Reply to
W. Watson

Dear W. Watson:

Dayton = disposable. If the motor is disposable, then so is the gear box.

"No user serviceable parts inside".

David A. Smith

PS: don't be a packrat if you can help it.

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

Thanks for the comments. So Dayton, despite the $300 price tag, isn't a good performer? Is there an equivalent by another mfger? Not sure about the PS, unless that's part of your signature file. Are you saying don't bother keeping the old parts?

Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

Reply to
W. Watson

A much higher quality alternative in a similar form factor that won't be an awful lot more expensive, and perhaps no more expensive depending on your exact requirements...

It's up to you to decide whether it'll fit in your application, and whether figuring out how to generate the eleventeen digit long part number is worth your effort. I'd suggest you contact a power transmission distributor (Motion Industries, e.g.) if you want to explore this.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Not at all. As engineering progresses, we are able to "tune" the life of an entire system to have about the same mean time between failures for all the components. So when one thing goes (after some "usual" life span) everything is ready to go. Witness just about any current GM product (not dissing them, my last several cars have been GM).

Were you able to crack open the old gear box, I suspect you'd find significant wear on the gear faces, blackened lubricant in/near the bearings, and cracks near the roots of some of the gears.

With the exception of the generating cells, I can construct a complete ozone generator (as an example) from the ground up, without getting anything from any other source. No one else can offer this, except McMaster. It isn't that their quality is poor, Wayne. It is that nothing this side of the grave is forever.

As a "keeper of old parts", this is *exactly* what I mean. You could take your old motor to an electric motor rewinder and put it back in service "someday". When the gear box fails, you could also take that to have it serviced somewhere, and get it back in service. This behavior might be appropriate from an environmental standpoint, but it might not be possible economically.

If you have children, and they have a mechanical "knack", you might let them play with the mechanism...

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

Oh, I did take it to a local shop and the fellow looked at the melted coil wires and said forget it. He looked for a new one, and found it for $450. I knew I could get it for under $ 300, so that ended that.

Actually, I think I'll play with it. I'm curious what went wrong, and how they have this geared up. There are about 7 star screws holding the gearbox onto the motor. I would think removing them would not cause the parts to immediately fall over the table. I'll give it a go tomorrow. If there is gear damage, I'd like to see it.