Band Saw gear box

I have a 6x9 Johnson and the gear box is howling a bit. Is there a source for parts that you know of? Or, do I get to buy a new saw?

Reply to
Buerste

Never heard of the make. Have you popped the cover on it to see what's floating around? My dad had a 4x6 that did that, had to replace the worm, gear and pulley-end ball bearing because the worm disintegrated and all the flotsam gravitated to the unshielded bearing. If you bought it retail, check the retailer for parts. Otherwise google is your friend. Might be some other import is close enough you can swap parts, Grizzly, Enco or HF might be places to check. If it's not too far gone, you could probably replace the bearing(s) and clean up the worm and wheel enough to at least cut the noise level down. My dad's had galling going on, probably from bad lube combined with improper material pair on the worm and wheel, big lumps torn out of both parts. Were both steel, the replacement had a hardened wheel and bronze worm. Replace the lube with some rear-end lube from the car parts place, plenty of high-pressure zinc additive in that stuff.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

A mixture of (wood) sawdust and STP should work wonders---

Reply to
Jerry Wass

Wes

Reply to