Removing gearhead from Maxon motor

I have a couple of Maxon motors and would like to swap gearheads. They are both 16mm diameter. I can't figure out how to remove the gearheads. There are no apparent screws holding them on. Thanks for any help.

Mitch Berkson

Reply to
Mitch Berkson

I think they may screw on. Are there screws on the face of the gearbox? You may need to unload the gearbox to get them off.

Reply to
Blueeyedpop

Reply to
Mitch Berkson

How many extras do you have...

I am willing to gamble (your motor of course...) that the face ( which I am guessing is bronze ) unscrews. With force, heat, solvent, brutality...

Reply to
Blueeyedpop

I'm not sure what you mean by extras. One motor has just the gearhead. The other has a gearhead and an encoder.

I would guess that the housing unscrews rather than the face, but either would be more compelling if there were any kind of suggestive turning aid on it - like flats. Maybe Maxon has devised some special purpose tool to make it difficult for users to do stuff like this.

Mitch

Blueeyedp> How many extras do you have...

Reply to
Mitch Berkson

Reply to
Blueeyedpop

By applying a surprising amount of force using a lathe chuck and a vise, I was able to unscrew the gearhead from the motor.

Mitch Berkson

Reply to
Mitch Berkson

Reply to
Blueeyedpop

Most of the threadlock type things soften nicely when you warm them up

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garnett

Would this be a reliable threadlock for a small motor, though? Many/most of them are so small (little area for dissipation) that the shafts get pretty warm when running. Removing gears from motor shafts is my least favorite thing to do.

-- Gordon Author: Constructing Robot Bases, Robot Builder's Sourcebook, Robot Builder's Bonanza

Reply to
Gordon McComb

I am removing the gearhead housing from the motor housing - not removing a gear from the motor shaft.

Mitch Berkson

Reply to
Mitch Berkson

When I say "warm" I mean warm enough to ask if he as extras, just in case... During my lens repair days, in addition to the "opticians hammer", small tweezers, spanners and drivers, we had a propane torch. The local heat was preferable to an electric gun.

Reply to
Blueeyedpop

Ah. I thought maybe a spur gear was on the shaft very tightly, and keeping the thing on.