Removing gearhead from Maxon motor

I have a couple of Maxon motors and would like to swap gearheads. They are both 16mm diameter. I can't figure out how to remove the gearheads. There
are no apparent screws holding them on. Thanks for any help.
Mitch Berkson
I think they may screw on. Are there screws on the face of the gearbox? You may need to unload the gearbox to get them off.

are
There
There are only the two threaded mounting holes on the face of the gearhead.
Blueeyedpop wrote:

How many extras do you have...
I am willing to gamble (your motor of course...) that the face ( which I am guessing is bronze ) unscrews. With force, heat, solvent, brutality...

I'm not sure what you mean by extras. One motor has just the gearhead. The other has a gearhead and an encoder.
I would guess that the housing unscrews rather than the face, but either would be more compelling if there were any kind of suggestive turning aid on it - like flats. Maybe Maxon has devised some special purpose tool to make it difficult for users to do stuff like this.
Mitch
Blueeyedpop wrote:

If you are not careful, you are likely to destroy it. If you have 100 of them, have at it, if this is your only one...

Mitch Berkson wrote:

By applying a surprising amount of force using a lathe chuck and a vise, I was able to unscrew the gearhead from the motor.
Mitch Berkson
It was likely threadlocked on there. There are some truly frightening locking fluids out there,

Most of the threadlock type things soften nicely when you warm them up
Dave

Dave Garnett wrote:

Would this be a reliable threadlock for a small motor, though? Many/most of them are so small (little area for dissipation) that the shafts get pretty warm when running. Removing gears from motor shafts is my least favorite thing to do.
-- Gordon Author: Constructing Robot Bases, Robot Builder's Sourcebook, Robot Builder's Bonanza
Gordon McComb wrote:

I am removing the gearhead housing from the motor housing - not removing a gear from the motor shaft.
Mitch Berkson
Mitch Berkson wrote:

Ah. I thought maybe a spur gear was on the shaft very tightly, and keeping the thing on.
-- Gordon Author: Constructing Robot Bases, Robot Builder's Sourcebook, Robot Builder's Bonanza
When I say "warm" I mean warm enough to ask if he as extras, just in case... During my lens repair days, in addition to the "opticians hammer", small tweezers, spanners and drivers, we had a propane torch. The local heat was preferable to an electric gun.

Related Threads