How do you get Ball bearings into certain kinds

Hi all,

Please consider the diagram of a crossection of a ball bearing assembly (hopefully it makes sense!!) below which I have seen in bearing catalogues (eg Kaydon): ________________________________ I I I _ - - _ I I * * * * ___I____Outer Race I * * * * I I * * * * I I / / \ \ I I__/ / \ \__I I ____I___________Ball Bearing(s) __ I I __ I \ \ / / I I \ \ / / I I * * * * I I * * * * __ I_________ Inner Race I * * - _ _ - * * I I I I________________________________I

BEARING ASSEMBLY CROSSECTION

Assuming the crossection of the outer race and inner race is the same for 360 degrees around (a horizontal axis below the inner race) and there is a full complement of bearings-

when assembling bearings how do you get all the ball bearings past the walls of the inner race and outer race and into the middle running area shown above?

I am asking because I am planning on machining my own bearings for a project (bearing size 1.5mm, Total crossection width= 2.5mm)

If I missing something please let me know

Many thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Steve, You simply deflate the balls, place them inside the bearing races, then re-inflate the balls... ;-)

Reply to
Paul O

LOL

Ok Steve, if I am getting your question right you ask how to put balls in the bearing? (excuse me for my bad english) First you put balls one by one between inner and outer race. Races must touch at one point to make place for all balls that you are placing in the bearing. I would really need to draw this because of my english. I can mail it to you if you like. Or you can take one bearing and take it apart. Simply rip apart the cage which holds the balls equidistant and see what happends.

Reply to
the_mesar

So to repeat what the_mesar is intimating: Ball races are caged - which seperates the balls. If the balls are inserted loose, without a cage, the last one will just squeeze in - because it is designed to do so. Then a cage is fixed, to seperate each ball, which places them all with minimal play to the inner and outer race.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Brian Whatcott wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The original question was about a "full compliment" of balls, in which case there not enough clearance to load all the balls. Often there is a notch in the inner and outer race which when aligned will allow the balls to be inserted. This limits the thrust load permissible in one direction.

Charly Coughran snipped-for-privacy@DELETE-TO-RESPOND-UCSD.EDU

Reply to
Charly Coughran

True - close packed ball races are suited to slow speed applications. Caged races are used in high speed applications. The third strategy is to distort the inner and outer to get the last balls in.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott