Linear Thermal Expansion

How do I calculate an amount of thermal expansion for a given shape if you
have Coefficient of Linear Thermal Expansion (7.2x105 in my case)
Thanks,
Alex
Reply to
Alex
Isn't that pretty high? At least for metals...
Depends on the units... is the coeff. in cm/°C or inches/°F or..?
In any case it's a differential thing, if it's 5 inches at 20° and 5.1" at 50°...
Tim
-- In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!" Website @

Tim Williams
Think of your lump of plastic as expanding by 80 parts per million of a dimension per degree C
Then a dimension of 50 length units if subject to 20 degrees C temp rise will expand by 50 X 80/1000000 X 20 = 0.08 so its dimension grows from 50 to 50.08 length units
You're welcome
Brian W
Reply to
Brian Whatcott
First you must know the units for the coefficient. ie... in/ft/deg. C in/in/deg F. depending upon the material. The material expands exactly as stated in the coefficient. Take the distance from point one to point two and apply the coefficient to it.
John
Reply to
john

Site Timeline