Micro Air Compressor

I really don't think such a thing exists but I need a micro air compressor that will provide at least 100psi. But I only need about 150 ml/Min of flow. I have found plenty that are as small as I want and plenty that provide far more flow than I need but none that even come close to 100psi. Does such an animal exist?

If not how about some kind of a small hand pump that would be actuated by squeezing a lever. The way bicycle pumps work wouldn't work for my application. However, speaking of bicycles, if the pump could work by pulling on a lever similar to a bicycle break lever, that would be perfect.

The goal is to extend a 3/4" dia by 3" stroke air cylinder with air at

100PSI in less than 30 seconds. Preferably in less than 10 seconds.
Reply to
Chris W

It would be dwarfed by its battery pack.

How about a CO2 cartridge? They come in all sorts of sizes, thanks to the paintball gun folks.

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc

Are you sure? I don't know if this comparison is accurate but here goes anyway. I have a little 12V compressor that will produce .3 CFM at 100 psi. It draws about 13A max. While it is getting to 100 psi, it of course draws less. I need to fill about 1.4 cubic inches in 10 seconds. With 60 sec in a minute that is 1.4 * 6 = 8.4 cubic inches in a minute (CIM). There are 1728 cubic inches in a cubic foot so .3 x 1728 = 518.4 CIM since I only need 8.4 CIM 518.4/8.4 = 61.7 times faster than I need.

Now for the big assumption, if I only need 1/61.7 as much flow then the compressor should only need 1/61.7 as much current to run it. so

13A/61.7 = 211mA. That isn't to hard get out of most any rechargeable battery intermittently.
Reply to
Chris W

Yes.

the high flow rates are at minimum pressure, with nearly zero outlet flow at maximum pressure.

At near zero pressure.

Except that your big assumption is too big.

only goes to 28 psig.

So, why *not* a compressed air cylinder?

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

The 12V compressor I have is much higher quality than that one.

Not according to the specifications.

.97 CFM at 0 psi .92 CFM at 5 psi .87 CFM at 10 psi .76 CFM at 20 psi .61 CFM at 40 psi .46 CFM at 60 psi .38 CFM at 80 psi .30 CFM at 100 psi

What do you mean by a "compressed air cylinder"? Just use an air cylinder as a pump?

Reply to
Chris W

No, I mean use a "CO2 cartridge" or something similar, precharged with 100s of PSI, pop its closure, and let it inflate your "thingy". You can get them filled with other things, besides CO2.

And yes, you can bleed it out as slowly as you like.

The only moving part is the needle.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

I am late into this - but how about a C)2 capsule?

Brian W

Reply to
Brian Whatcott