need suggestions for perpendicular mounting a thin shield

I need to mount a vertical aluminium (1mm thick) plate perpendicular to a PCB, so that the bottom of the plate rests on the PCB. There is plenty space on the PCB to hold this but I need some way of fastening it in place. The PCB cannot be modified at this point so I was wondering if there were some kind of edge mounted press fit bracket that could be used. I've done a search of the usual websites and come up with a blank. Has anyone come across something similar before?

Or overcome the problem using a different method?

Thanks

PFITZ

Adhesives?

Have the plate fabricated to include the mount - does it need to be 1mm thick? Could it be thinner?

| | | | | | | |

------ | --------------------------------------- | | =====PCB==== | ---------------------------------------

------

Reply to
Den

Is this an electrical shield or a heat sink? If it's electrical, you won't get good shielding performance this way.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Copper plate the Al and solder it on? Use Copper not Al, and solder? Make an insulated "C" clamp?

Dave

Reply to
Mechanical Magic

Sounds like a good application for Hot Melt Glue to me. If you can't modify the circuit board then glue is implied. If directly glueing the shield onto the board isn't strong enough, then I would make a small chennel from phenolic and glue that onto the board with the shield glued into the channel.

Jack

Really need to know why you need this vertical "fin". What kinds of stress it might be seeing in use.

The boards used in the MDM box on the Space Scuttle had aluminum bonded with heat-cure epoxy onto the PCBs. They acted as stiffener, heat transfer component, ground plane, and mechanical bearing.

You might be able to form a small bend lip that gets a "pop rivet" through the board and lip, right at the board. Or cut some holes through, and your fin has "tongues" that slip through the board and get bent over on the backside.

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc