need suggestions for perpendicular mounting a thin shield

I need to mount a vertical aluminium (1mm thick) plate perpendicular
to a PCB, so that the bottom of the plate rests on the PCB. There is
plenty space on the PCB to hold this but I need some way of fastening
it in place. The PCB cannot be modified at this point so I was
wondering if there were some kind of edge mounted press fit bracket
that could be used. I've done a search of the usual websites and come
up with a blank. Has anyone come across something similar before?
Or overcome the problem using a different method?
Thanks
PFITZ
Adhesives?
Have the plate fabricated to include the mount - does it need to be 1mm thick? Could it be thinner?
Reply to
Den
Is this an electrical shield or a heat sink? If it's electrical, you won't get good shielding performance this way.
Cheers,
Phil Hobbs
Reply to
Phil Hobbs
Sounds like a good application for Hot Melt Glue to me. If you can't modify the circuit board then glue is implied. If directly glueing the shield onto the board isn't strong enough, then I would make a small chennel from phenolic and glue that onto the board with the shield glued into the channel.
__ __ | | | | | |__| | |_______| --------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------
Reply to
Jack
Dear PFITZ:
Really need to know why you need this vertical "fin". What kinds of stress it might be seeing in use.
The boards used in the MDM box on the Space Scuttle had aluminum bonded with heat-cure epoxy onto the PCBs. They acted as stiffener, heat transfer component, ground plane, and mechanical bearing.
You might be able to form a small bend lip that gets a "pop rivet" through the board and lip, right at the board. Or cut some holes through, and your fin has "tongues" that slip through the board and get bent over on the backside.
David A. Smith
Reply to
dlzc

Site Timeline