Old Tires

Is it possible to shred old tires and remold them into some other shape or is the process to complicated/expensive to make it worth while? I need a cone shaped apraratus made from a flexable material.

Reply to
sugna41

Dear sugna41:

The vulcanization process makes bonds that are stronger than hydrogen bonding. The only way to break the sulfur bond is by oxidation, and that takes a lot of the carbon "spine" with it. So you don't get back the equivalent of virgin latex.

It is commonly recycled by removing the steel belts, grinding up, and using some other material as a binder. Road resurfacing, playground "mats", and such. It depends on the required structural strength of your cone.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

It is to be used as a compressor for air in water at sea.

:)

Reply to
sugna41

Dear sugna41:

They (ground up tires) are also used for porous sidewalks. Whole tires are used as "reef replacement". I don't think any surface that isn't Teflon(R) will be immune to sea critters using the surface as a home.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

"N:dlzc D:aol T:com \(dlzc\)" wrote in news:EoW_g.6552$v43.4006@fed1read02:

The whole idea of using tires for artifical reefs had turned out to be a bust.

Teflon is a perfectly acceptable home for sea critters, as I found much to my surprise the first time I used it expecting it to come back clean.

Reply to
Charly Coughran

Dear sugna41:

"Charly Coughran" wrote in message news:Xns98655FC6B3D47ccoughranucsdedu@132.239.1.221...

(Thanks Charly...)

There is a cave some miles north of where I live. It is quite large, and close to the surface. During the morning, there is a great wind coming out of the chamber. At night, there is an equally great wind being drawn in.

Maybe you should not have any sort of flexible membrane at all.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

The wind may be due to temperature diferance and not necessarily to wave action.

Reply to
sugna41

Yes it due to temperature difference. Heating makes the internal pressure higher. Local increase in wave height makes pressure at any elevation higher.

Invert a clear glass coffee cup in a wave tank. Leave about a half cup of air in it. Leave space under the rim. Turn on the waves. Does nothing happen to the bubble "size" as waves pass?

Maybe the cup is a cylinder wall, and the water is the piston... minimum wetted surfaces.

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc