project a support for tank

Hi,

I product wine (white) and I have a tank cilinder, in vertical position.

Now, i want build one structure, on the floor, for support this tank.

The total weight (with wine) is 700 Kg.

I would like project one little square table in iron (wide:1 meter) with 4 foot (height 70 cm). Can I operate for calculate the dimension of part for this project?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Joe

Reply to
J_tek

Dear J_tek:

What is the diameter of the cylinder? The height would be nice, but can be inferred. What is the maximum flow rate, and can it be pulsed (intentionally or unintentionally)?

Is the tank designed for vertical installation? The supplier of the tank usually provides a support mechanism...

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

- What is the diameter of the cylinder? 70 cm

- The cylinder height is 1.60m

- maximum flow rate: may be 0.1 liter /sec (it is low,normal)

Is the tank designed for vertical installation? Yes, it is a inox cilynder

The supplier of the tank usually provides a support mechanism... May be Yes, but is better build one and learn new things...

Help me Thanks!!

Joe

Reply to
J_tek

Dear J_tek:

You look for failure modes. Keywords for internet search are "buckling", "euler", "column", "moment of area", "slenderness ratio".

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

Weld it up with any angle over 1.5 inch on a side, and it would be difficult to overstress the structure. Triangles are, as always, your friend.

Brian Whatcott Altus, OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

While it is important to consider failure modes, it's been my experience that for structural items, designing for rigidity gives you a better structure. If you build the legs so they're just strong enough to prevent buckling, for example, the thing may wobble horribly. Make it strong enough not to buckle, then make it twice as strong, and then check how much it'll move if someone leans on the tank. I'd say if you're designing for a 700kg tank, the thing shouldn't move move than 0.1" with a 200 lb force applied at any point in any lateral direction. (And then make it twice as strong to be sure.) And when you do your buckling calculations, allow for the top to have that 0.1" deflection--that will reduce the buckling load.

Way back in university, I designed the legs for a group project. They were long and slender (as the device being built had to stand a couple feet high). I was preoccupied with buckling, and designed the legs for that--with little safety factor, since material was very limited (and there was no hazard involved). Once built, the darn thing wobbled all over the place and needed significant cross bracing to make it sufficiently stable. (But it didn't buckle!)

In your case, a 700kg tank of wine wobbling is probably not a good thing. Considering the consequences of failure, I'd recommend making it waaaay stronger than the equations say you need. And then cross brace the heck out of it--as someone else said, triangles are your friends.

-Paul

Reply to
Paul Skoczylas