Re: easy stepper control?

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 20:49:15 -0700, Smitty Two

Ocean Controls, Victoria, Australia. I have used their stuff before. It was a great value. This site quotes AUS dollar prices. Ask for a US quote.
<http://www.oceancontrols.com.au/motor_controller/stepper_motor_controllers.htm
Brian Whatcott Altus OK
Dear Smitty Two:
wrote:

You don't like "visual assembly language"? You don't like having to spend hours on administrivia, trying to remember what register you put that little bit of information in?

No, just obtuse. Allen-Bradley's "ControLogix" processor series is a big improvement, if still obtuse. At least it uses regular variable naming, and structures. And only requires and arm and a leg to purchase.

If you have an RS-232 communications, you might try LabView. What langauge are you familiar with? Almost all of them will output serial data. And your foot pads could be left and right mouse buttons...
If you cannot do without a PLC, I do coding. I only have software for an older Mitsubishi series right now... and "AutomationDirect" (aka Koyo).
David A. Smith
Dear Smitty Two:

"man upstairs" = God? ;>)

Not "easiest" for me. Only "possible".
What languages do you do, if any? I've done simple serial I/O with QBasic, with Clipper, but not with any of the current high-level languages under Windoze.
Are you sure you can dedicate a PC to operating this stepper? Will it ever be used "in the field" away from AC power?
David A. Smith
message wrote:

I'm late joining this conversation, but what about one of the little stepper controller boards you see advertised? I'm thinking of one like this: www.allmotion.com
I think you can connect this to RS-232 (either pc or microcontroller) and send commands to run the stepper. Also, I've use one from Haydon Switch that was standalone.

It was the control board that was standalone. http://www.hsimotors.com/drives/Chopper-drives.htm board p/n 40105. I think it was about $150

Take a look at a motion controller card for your PC's PCI bus. For example: http://www.galilmc.com/products/econo/dmc18x2.html
There are plenty of other mfrs of this sort of thing, Galil just happens to be the one I'm most familiar and comfortable with. Programming is straightforward and Basic-like. Auxiliary I/O is also provided.
But I'm curious why you're using steppers - I didn't see anything in previous posts that would rule out simple DC motors, or most any open loop variable speed drive.
Ned Simmons
Dear "ms" and Ned Simmons:

"Smitty Two" said he already had the hardware.
David A. Smith
Dear Smitty Two:

A whole lot of people don't either. :>(

OK. LabView might be just the trick then.

You have to get digital (on/off) switch information *into* the PC also then. How will you do this?
David A. Smith