Repairing cracked polyethylene

Does anyone know what adhesive/sealant can be used to seal a crack in polyethelene plastic bottle? It's the washer fluid bottle in my Toyota. I heard that it can'be done - true?

JaKe Seattle

Reply to
jkdrummer

I was under the impression that polyethylene was very difficult to adhesive repair.........

that said, I did a google search & found

stuff looks pretty good but the application tools are a bit spendy for a one off repair

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

"BobK207" wrote in news:1155625182.135412.260440 @i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

1) drill a hole at each end of the crack

2) Get some silicon RTV (Bathroom sealant) and squidge it into the crack and surroundings.

3) put a large piece of duct tape over the whole lot.

4) Clean the bottle out before you use it, you don't really want too many little bits of plastic in the pump or washer lines.

Depending on your skill at stage 2 it might just outlast the vehicle. Worst case scenario is that it doesn't work, in which case clean it off and find a better way.

Cheers

Greg

Reply to
Greg Locock

Dear Greg Locock:

Or use a cheap soldering iron and melt the hole.

*Nothing* latex, just straight silicone sealer. Light sandpaper where adhesive will be applied. Clean (soap then isopropyl alcohol) and dry the surfaces thoroughly before applying the adhseive..

Under the hood/bonnet, duct tape is short lived. The adhesive gives out. But it will be OK for a while.

I think it can be welded with an industrial heat gun, depending on where the crack is...

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

It only comes in this form? That stinks.

JaKe Seattle

Reply to
jkdrummer

A polythene stick used as a weld stick with a burner is used to repair polythene containers. But you will certainly find it much easier to destroy than to repair the container if you have no prior experience of this method.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Go to a Junk yard and buy a "new" old one or post OEM on the web.

PP and PE can be melted repaired but are still weak at the repair site becuse of uniform repair and oxidation embrittlemnet.

Drilling holes at end of cracks to stop cracks usually does not work becasue the true end of the crack cannot be detected check out how this failed with the Liberty Bell ;-)

Reply to
Ed