Specification mentioning HP and BHP

Hi,

I have seen several advertisements of the lightweight two wheelers saying its engine has Horsepower of 1.5 HP. Some times it is also mentioned that the Brake Horse Power of vehicle is 6.5.

What power is mentioned here as 1.5 HP, and how come any power be so less then BHP while BHP is measured after a lot of losses.

Any Links will help,

With Rgds, BJ

Reply to
BJ

Nobody gets 6.5 BHP from a 1.5 HP engine without storing energy in a spring, battery etc..

Someone screwed up.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

or just lied

Reply to
Michael

As a thumb rule can I always expect the HP rating of the engine (used for vehicle) higher then BHP of the vehicle?

Is it also true for all automotives irrespective of kind of engine used?

Reply to
BJ

Dear BJ:

Yes. BHP is supposed to be engine power, less the losses in the transmission, driveline, differential, and various bearings along the way.

They may have been describing the amount of power the brakes can dissipate, but if they were, that would be the first time I'd have heard of trying to do that... especially since it would be a function of vehicle speed.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

You can reasonably expect that an accurately expressed shaft horsepower at the output shaft of the engine, sees further losses from windage, gearbox/transmission friction and drive wheel bearings.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott