laminated hooks

I'm designing a laminated hook for use in foundry. I have bought the DIN 15404, but nothing is specified about the junction: how can I connect the plates? nails? my purchaser want a hole of 50 mm, and I never heard about a 50 mm nail... The rules says that welding is forbidden. TIA Max, Italy

Reply to
Max

What cannot be welded, can be riveted, bolted, swaged, glued or wedged in place. Depending on the hook size, a hollow bolt or rivet, or high tensile bolt(s) or rivet(s) might be needed.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Ok for rivets, but I can't find a 50 mm (2 inches) diameter rivet. The junction must be inamovible, so no bolts shoul be used.

Thanks anyway, Max

Reply to
Max

Talk to people that construct skyscrapers. They use "hot rivets" all the time. You are not going to find these at a hardware store, but you might try a steel supplier.

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc

Thank you! I saw that for hot rivets the maximum diameter is 39. I think I will speak with the customer... Thank you for show me that beautifull internet site.

Max

Reply to
Max

Hmmmm..this maybe one of your first jobs? I don't have DIN 15404-2 for laminated lifting hooks, but crane hooks had better have generous margins of safety. It seems to me that if you are intended to design the laminae, you may well be called on to design the rivet(s) too, assuming they are really intended to be 2 inch diameter. Designing a rivet ought not to be overwhelming. One could be forged, even turned from suitably malleable material that will meet the shear requirement. I have this feeling that even big steel riveted hulls use smaller diameter rivets than these.... It couldn't be 2 cm diam rivets, I don't suppose? DIN is a European - initially German spec, after all.....

Brian W p.s. For laughs, do tell us the limit working load this hook is intended to lift please?

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

I just have the design of the purchaser, and he want the hook built in that way. My problem is just to recruit the rivets designed by him. I know that maybe they are exagerated, but only if I can't find them I can tell to the purchaser/designer to choose another way. The SWL is

140 ton. (I always designed lifting lugs for SWL 500 ton. and I used a 100mm hole...). Anyway, my problem is just to make buildable the design of the hook.

PS: 50 mm is about 2 inches, not 2 cm.....

Thanks again, Max

Reply to
Max

Hmmm...this sounds rather like a student project. People don't usually design rivet dimensions out of the blue. May I humbly suggest you take great care over whatever the specifier has suggested? If you are, or want to be an engineer, a mis step with a crane lifting block would be a great pity. Sorry I cannot help more.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Brian, I think you haven't read with enough attention my posts or maybe my english could have some problem. Anyway: this is not a student project. I must BUILD this hook. I have the drawing, and the drawing has 50 mm holes. If the customers wants the hook in this way, the problem is of him. I haven't his calculation report. The problem is mine just if I can't find the rivets. But if I find the rivets and the rivets are overdimensioned.....I must connect the plates and stop. Sorry, I cannot be clearer. Thanks anyway.

Reply to
Max

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 04:29:56 -0800 (PST), Max wrote: ...

How many rivets do you need? Is a material specified? A yield or sheer strength? what grip length is specified? Is there a drawing for the rivet head dome radius? Maybe I can find a source....

Brian W

Reply to
Brian Whatcott