alternatives to laminated glass in lighted grinder shields?

I recently picked up a pedestal grinder taht I'm putting back in service. It has lighted eyeshields which are nice but the lenses show quite a bit of pitting and also some partial delaminating. This makes them hard to look through which defeats their whole purpose. The lenses are 3.75x5x.210" laminated glass. I'm seeing quotes in the $8-10 range per lens to have new ones cut, and this seems too high to me. I'm wondering if I could use Lexan (polycarbonate) instead. I figure if it's good enough for lathe shielding maybe it's good enough for a half horse pedestal grinder.

Nice little three-phase unit, wiring was screwed up when I got it, integral motor starter, this unit was made by Rockwell in the '80s.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

~Roy~