CFC (Carbon Fiber Reinforced Carbon) Charging Plate

Hi everyone,

I am a Metallurgical and Material Science Engineer > and > want to discuss a subject, about the CFC materials (in the field of > charging > elements for vacuum furnaces). As we know that we can not use CFC materials in > the > oksijen atmosphere over 450C. Hence ,we use vacuum or inert conditions > for > the furnaces. In our laboratory we have tested the heat treatment > (Temp:1200C/Vacuum ) of a steel material sitting on a CFC charging plate. > Unfortunately we have failed, becouse a carbon diffusion between steel and > CFC plate has occured during the process. In result of this we have lost > both the steel sample and the CFC material. > > > The question is, why did a diffusion between steel and CFC occured? > Theorically we use CFC up to 2200C in vacuum condition. What causes the > diffusion? (Temp:1200C)In the other hand, we bought the CFC material from > a German company, and they couldn't find the answer either. I think that we > should use CFC with a SIC coating for the further tests. (Don't know yet) > > > > > Best Regards, > > > > >Marten >
Reply to
Marten

For several hundred years, it has been known that carbon diffusion into steel is energetically favored at elevated temperature. This was the basis of "color-hardening" of gun parts. The carbide forms a hard surface layer, which looks colorful too. The process was called "case-hardening". A modern material used for this effect is caslled "Kasenit"

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Reply to