Carbon Fiber Tubing

Anyone know where I can buy some carbon fiber airframe tubing?

I'm looking to build a 38mm minimum diameter rocket. I've been to the Shadowaero site, but they don't list that they sell it. I did find it on the Performance Rocketry site, but he takes 6 months to ship, and only after you beg and plead to get what you paid for.

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

Point!

What about "What's up hobbies" in San Diego, CA. He is a rocket geek that does custom lay-ups. Probably was involved in the Mars Landerfrom giant-world.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Try:

Andrew MacMillen

JD

Reply to
JDcluster

doc: this company has a lot of stock cf tubing and they will do custom:

B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Thanks for all the tips. I checked out Advanced Composites. They have a $200.00 minimum order. I don't really need that much. MQC looks good, but the smallest piece is twice as long as I need.

There are no rocket vendors that sell it? :-(

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

Does sell Carbon Fiber tubing.

JD

Reply to
JDcluster

PML sells composit tubes, but I believe the smallest is 3" diameter. How about a 75mm minimum diameter rocket?

Reply to
Michael Newton

I did see that, and I would love to buy it from him. In fact, I was going to buy his 7.5" Pershing II, but I have heard nothing but BAD things about this guy from many people. You pay him but it takes several months to get your order. One guy had to wait almost 6 months for something he said he had in stock. I've never heard of ANY happy customers.

It's too bad, I REALLY wanted that Pershing II and he has the exact carbon fiber tubing I need. :-(

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

A 75mm minimum diameter rocket on the east coast? I'm crazy, not stupid! ;-)

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

See my latest post above...

HEY!!!!!!!!! I resembel that! ;-)

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

Yes DOC it does take him quite a while to deliver but, it is worth the wait. I have a set of 54mm tubes, coupler, and 6:1 Conical NC that is in the prosses of being used for an MD. The tubes are good enough I can stand my 200#+ frame on the side of with no give. May want to call and talk to him along with your concerns and then hound him umtil he delivers.

Dennis

Reply to
D&JWatkins

A little defense!

Well I will be the first one to tell you yes we have had problems. We have been doing this as a full time business for almost 3 year (not a business we put a couple hours into after we are done with another 9to5). We are growing and learning as we have made mistakes along the way including the extended wait for an order. We started with 2 nosecones as our product line and now offer over 250 composite products, we did not get there by pissing off every customer. Most orders go out within a 1 day to several weeks depending on inventory and backlog, there have only been a few order that have ever taken more than 2 months(most the time they were custom orders, or we didn't have the molds finished). We have filled over 1000 orders successfully with the customer very happy in the end. Our policy is not to charge the credit card until the order ships (unless it is custom order). Keep in mind when you place an order from us we don't just go back in the store room and pick the parts and throw them in a box to ship, we are the manufacturer so we make everyone of our products, so when orders come in faster than we can fill them delays happen. We offer a large composite product line like no other in the hobby and almost consistently for the last 2 years we have been backed up with orders especially around LDRS and Christmas.

I feel we have done allot for the hobby by offering products that no one else does and trying to keep the pricing as low as we can, I don't think you will find a vendor selling the same parts for less. We do this to give everyone the ability to buy and not just the ones with deep pockets. In fact we have sponsored lots of Level 3 Certs and several big projects to help keep the users cost much lower.

One of the things you will find is that most people have no problem complaining about a bad experience but few will tell you about a good experience. We try our best and are trying to offer better service every day.

All I can say is give me a chance and I am sure you will be happy. If you have any questions or have a problem let me know (phone number below) We will always work with the customer and do our best to keep them happy.

Thanks Curtis Turner Performance Rocketry

814-536-8491 snipped-for-privacy@performancerocketry.com

Curtis Turner

Curtis Turner's stuff is fantastic. Performance has come a long way and they keep getting better.

Support them.

Reply to
Putting on the chill

You have a tremendous list of componants with the best prices on most of them. I have even use your price list to try to get better deals from other vendors. I have seen your work and it is the best I've seen. You made a 6" Niki style nose cone and boat tail for a friend and it was a work of art. The price was awsom and he has never been happier, accept he wont buy from you again because of how long the delivery took.

Your'e right, that's the problem with customers they only talk about the bad things that happen. Thus that all I've heard. If I never heard the bad things, the Fed Ex guy would have delivered your Pershing II today instead of the 7.5" Bull Pup form Skunk Works I got today. Your products speak for themselves however and they speak very well of you.

That said, I will order a 3' leingth of 38mm carbon fiber from you and tell everyone of the service, especially good service.

Good luck to you and your business. I really hope to order many more things from you in the future. (Ask anyone that knows me, thats alot of stuff. ;-))

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

Maryland is on the east coast isn't it ?

Go to an MDRA launch (

) & on a calm day you can see people flying an L 2000 in a 4" rocket & go to about 10k & still get it back....

Of coarse a tracking transmitter couldn't hurt..

There are launch sites on the east coast that are bigger than the ones in PA , NY & NJ That's if your up for a little drive ...

Forget the 76mm ( yes 76 mm not 75

or 3"

& go for the 98mm minium diameter rocket ,you don't want to limit yourself.

Next launch is in 2 weeks

JD

Reply to
JDcluster

Nah, the 3" will still hold a EX N motor with less drag. Unless you really have your heart set on that 4" O motor.

Come to BALLS 2004.

Mike Fisher

Reply to
Mfreptiles

Actually, I've been planning to go to an MDRA launch for 2 years now. Hell, it's only a 2 hour drive. It's never gone past the planning stage. ;-(

I have it planned for this year too.

What about a 2-stage Jerry 'S' motor? I think he said there is a case on the east coast somewhere. ;-)

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

I went to their webpage..looks like they do some really good and cool stuff....my only question is why they require an LEUP to become a member? shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

It's probably part of their hold harmless agreement along with what is required to keep the insurance company happy.

JD

Reply to
JDcluster