Re: engine efficiency questions

There is a high dependency on duty cycle when looking at real world efficiencies. For instance, if there is a significant amount of time that the engine spends idling between full power operation, such as can happen with locomotives or heavy construction equipment, then the average efficiency of a diesel engine can be higher than that of a turbine.

> Everything that I have seen regarding the efficiency of IC (internal > combustion) engines, is that efficiency is generally around 20 to 25% > This is especially true with gasoline and natural gas engines. > Turbines in general are more efficient than the conventional piston > engine. > > Carl
Reply to
Steve Manifold