Re: Physics question

Dear Ben Hopkins:

"Ben Hopkins" wrote in message news:gjBvh.16827$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...

adding sci.engr.mech

I'm not a physicist, not a scientist, but I have a question > I think this group can answer. > > There's a refrigerator in my uninsulated garage. It has > a freezer section on the top. > > In the summer, it's very hot in the garage (Southern > California), in the winter it's very cold (sometimes down > to the 50's (Farenheit)). > > In the summer, things freeze in the refrigerator > compartment if they're on the top shelf (close to the > freezer section), and the freezer freezes real good. A > water bottle half full of water freezes up in three to four > hours. > > In the winter, things don't freeze in the refrigerator > compartment, even if they're on the top shelf, and in > the freezer section, the water bottle's contents aren't > completely frozen after 8 hours! > > How come? The thermostat has not been changed. > This is the second winter we've had the fridge in the > garage, and it was the same last winter.

The configuration of your freezer's cooling system is such that it is most "effective" near a certain temperature differential. Most refrigerant type systems are this way, but will have different differential temperatures. You can alter this differential by some amount by changing the pre-charge in the cooling loop. As refrigerant is lost over time due to leakage, the optimum temperature range changes.

But I think you have "too small" or blocked condensor coil, making it harder to transfer heat that has been collected in the cabinet to ambient. Check your owners manual for installation instructions, including required clearances around and behind the unit, as well as coil servicing instructions.

Other than that... that is about the way it is.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

I don't see the original post, but I will respond here since your answers don't sound right.

The issue here seems pretty clear. the refrigerator has a thermostat. The temperature at the thermostat determines how long the fridge runs. In the summer the thermostat is getting a lot of heat input (thru the wall) so the fridge runs and runs and runs. Most of the cooling coils are in the freezer and not very near the thermostat so the temperature away from the thermostat gets much colder. The temperature at the thermostat is the same for both summer and winter. In the winter the thermostat doesn't get so much heat from the outside wall it is sitting on and thus it is not running anywhere near as long. This is why they put thermostats on an inside wall on houses. If you put it on an outside wall (especially one with poor insulation) you get this same affect where the colder the weather the hotter the house gets. Some extra insulation on the outside of the wall where the thermostat resides will help solve the problem.

-jim

Reply to
jim

Dear jim:

But yours sound exactly right. This is the reason I cross posted to the folks that (some of which) refrigeration for a living.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

By jove, I think you've got it! Thanks!