sizing DC motor

Hi,

I am trying to size a DC motor and need some assistance as to how to do this. The mechanism I am designing will be a 'drop test rig' for a product of ours (stress analysis & destructive test). Essentially, it will be two #80 chains running vertically on sprockets. On the chains there will attachments that will pick up a car which is running up an I-beam to a pre-set height where the car will disengage from the chain attachments and drop down and impact on a platform. I want the chain to be moving relatively slow (24"/sec), however I will want some control over the speed. The load it will have to lift will vary between 300 lbs (136 kg) - 600 lbs (272 kg).

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc Rigollet

Reply to
marcus72

Let's suppose the chain lift is vertical and the max load of 272kg ascends at 0.6 m/s. Let's suppose the gear reduction and motor are 85% efficient overall. Then the motor power needed is force X speed / efficiency% = power required.

In SI units there are no nuisance conversion factors, so it's just

272 kg * 9.81N/kg * 0.6 m/s / (85/100efficiency) = 1884 watts

If 0.6 m/s is the max speed desired. Else you scale the power requirement with the speed ratio.

OK 1884 watts is a shade more than 2.5 HP, so a 3 HP motor would meet the spec. A speed controller is also needed.

There might be better ways but a thryristor controller on the AC input followed by a transformer rectifier would be one way.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

thanks Brian. great information here. will take that and run with it.

Reply to
marcus72