sizing a dc motor

Hi,
I am trying to size a DC motor and need some assistance as to how to do this. The mechanism I am designing will be a 'drop test rig' for a product of
ours (stress analysis & destructive test). Essentially, it will be two #80 chains running vertically on sprockets. On the chains there will attachments that will pick up a car which is running up an I-beam to a pre-set height where the car will disengage from the chain attachments and drop down and impact on a platform. I want the chain to be moving relatively slow (24"/sec), however I will want some control over the speed. The load it will have to lift will vary between 300 lbs (136 kg) - 600 lbs (272 kg). I assume this would be a motor with a high torque rating.
Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Marc Rigollet

Well, to start out, 1 hp = 550 lb-ft/sec.
On 12/17/06 6:07 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@73g2000cwn.googlegroups.com, "marcus72"

Legally, this sounds like a job for a licensed Professional Engineer.
Bill -- Fermez le Bush

Sounds like a job for a series dc motor