Small Inflatable Air Bags

Does anyone know of a company that makes small (approximately 1" by 1" by

2") inflatable air bags? I am looking for a company that can make an array of relatively small air bags to be used in supporting rare, historical items while being handled and photographed in an archival facility. A custom solution would be fine, but I need to identify one or more companies familiar with such equipment.
Reply to
John Eric Voltin

Just a thought John..but how about laying them on a sheet of bubble wrap?

Reply to
<beard6801

Firestone, Goodyear, and Airlift all make a variety of air springs, mostly for automotive use, but also for other load bearing applications.

Reply to
Harry Andreas

I expect you could find an inflatable craft maker who would make you something usable at a custom price. Avon?

OR

You could buy a few small pneumatic inner tubes, and thread them inside and outside a protective box. The hose and tees to connect them to a mini compressor would not be an overwhelming engineering challenge. The cost would be considerably cheaper than any custom order.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Brian Whatcott wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

An hours experimentation with a temperature controlled soldering iron and an old cheap airbed would probably provide a custom solution.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Reply to
Greg Locock

Four ideas

  1. kids party ballons inflated to first stage only ie. not to full diameter

  1. bicycle inner tube - cut to desired length - glue and sew the cut ends airtight. - use airvalve portion if desired

  2. How about some 1 inch thick rubber sponge material from the grocery store? - I am assuming you want something to distribute the weight of these objects.

  1. How about "rolling up" some indoor/outdoor carpet into a 2 inch diameter circle. The number of carpet layers will determine the stiffness of the roll.

Reply to
amorrisonca1

John, You want to look for companies that manufacture inflatable "bladders". there are a number of good companies that make these products. Some of them may have an off-the-shelf product that will meet your needs. Try:

Good Luck, Paul D Oosterhout (from SAIC)

Reply to
Paul O