Brambles, Cornstalks & Athearn

A 3 in 1 post:

Somebody here awhile back was looking for something to use as brambles in their layout. Don't recall if there were any responses but I saw some stuff called Excelsior (spelling?) at Michael's craft shop that might work. It comes in different earthy colors and has a very thin twisted, corkscrewy (word?) look to it. There's some other stuff similar called Spanish Moss but it looks more fragile (hard to tell though as it's in bags). If spread out, it might also work for pumpkin patch vines. -Oh, and by the way, Michael's does stock the electric tealights. They are a GE brand and $3 each (also a bit taller than the cheaper ones).

Second; I bought a Walthers HO catalog mostly for ideas and I can use a few things in there for On30 (and they're just fun to look through too). A German company called Busch makes some incredibly nice scenery items including an individually stalked cornfield -but it being HO, the stalks are only 1" tall -too small for O scale. Anybody know of a source for larger cornfields?

Third; I thought Walthers listed about everything available for model trains but realized last night that Athearn is left out. Why is that, and are there other big companies left out too?

Reply to
flyingdragon64
*** Oh, and by the way, Michael's does stock the electric tealights. They are a GE brand and $3 each (also a bit taller than the cheaper ones). *** Third; I thought Walthers listed about everything available for model trains but realized last night that Athearn is left out. Why is that, and are there other big companies left out too?

---------------------------------------------------------- Thanks for the lead to the tea lights.

When Horizon Hobby bought Athearn, they no longer used Walthers as a distributor. Since Horizon is a distributor, they handle their own distribution. Others left out include MDC/Roundhouse...Horizon also owns that company. Anything with Bev-Bel name...Bev-Bel is a distributor, too...

Bill Bill's Railroad Empire

BillsRREmpire

On: Sun, Mar 12, 2006, 10:00pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com replied (question about why Athearn isn't in the Walthers catalog):

Interesting. I was under the impression Walthers listed everything in the industry but it's about distribution. Thanks for the info! And by the way, you're welcome about the tealight lead and the optic fiber thought (from another post). Ideas: I like to give and receive. :)

Also checked out your Railroad Empire site looking for the haunted house and got caught up in the whole layout. That is really incredible. So much fine, realistic detail everywhere -it's a joy to look at. I only hope someday I could do something of that skill level.

Eventually explored further and found the haunted house (spooky!) and the Halloween website (have both you're sites on file now for future ref.).

It's easy to see how you enjoy taking care of your railroad (you mentioned cleaning the track and dusting), but it leads to a question I've wondered about for a long time: how does anyone dust something that complex and fragile? Especially things like trees, people, and in your town; elephants?

~Brad H.

Reply to
flyingdragon64

Brad H. wrote: Interesting. I was under the impression Walthers listed everything in the industry but it's about distribution. Thanks for the info! And by the way, you're welcome about the tealight lead and the optic fiber thought (from another post). Ideas: I like to give and receive. :) Also checked out your Railroad Empire site looking for the haunted house and got caught up in the whole layout. That is really incredible. So much fine, realistic detail everywhere -it's a joy to look at. I only hope someday I could do something of that skill level. Eventually explored further and found the haunted house (spooky!) and the Halloween website (have both you're sites on file now for future ref.). It's easy to see how you enjoy taking care of your railroad (you mentioned cleaning the track and dusting), but it leads to a question I've wondered about for a long time: how does anyone dust something that complex and fragile? Especially things like trees, people, and in your town; elephants?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Wow! Thanks for the nice compliments, Brad! Makes an old man feel good. As for dusting the layout, I do it carefully. Some of the older structures were assembled 30 years ago and the glue is releasing on some of them. The people are glued in place. A feather duster is what i use on them. The elephants are very sturdy. They should be, the Preiser circus animals were a bit costly. Again, thanks!

Bill Bill's Railroad Empire

BillsRREmpire