Walthers Catalog: Soldering Iron

Hey Folks,

I am wondering about this item - and its low price: too low or so it seems.

-------------------------- Page 914

Walthers Item #: 370-910

60 watts soldering item

Price: $7.95

---------------------------

Is this iron NOT what we should be looking to huy for soldering HO Scale track? The price seems too low. I was leaning toward a Weller, but I came across this item.

Thanks! Matt

Reply to
Matt & Kathleen Brennan

Matt

60 watts should do very well. Even the lower wattage irons I've seen cost around $12 and up so possibly the price is a miss print or some kind of close out special. I have a Weller 75 watt gun and it works great. I don't remember the cost....maybe $25 or $30. Not that much for something so useful that gets used frequently. Personally I prefer the small Weller gun to any soldering tool I have used. Bruce
Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Matt=A0&=A0Kathleen=A0Brennan wrote: I am wondering about this item - and its low price: too low or so it seems.

-------------------------- Page 914 Walthers Item #: 370-910

60 watts soldering item Price: $7.95

----------------------------------------------- That's about the same price as Radio Shack.

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

Bill, Is the Radio Shack one 60 watts? I may be wrong but isn't about 40 watts or greater what would be most useful for various model railroad projects? If you can get one at 40 to 60 watts for $8 that's not a bad deal at all. Bruce

-------------------------- Page 914 Walthers Item #: 370-910

60 watts soldering item Price: $7.95

----------------------------------------------- That's about the same price as Radio Shack.

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bruce Favinger

Yeah, and try to change the tip when it comes time. Hah! Better have a drill and an EZ-out. I've never yet seen a cheap iron where it's possible to actually extract the tip without breaking it off.

Jay CNS&M Wireheads of the world, unite!

Reply to
JCunington

Hi Matt,

I'm not sure if that is big enough to solder electrical feeder wire to rail or not. I've always used a soldering gun I picked up at the old Allied Electronics store in Chicago back in the 1960's when I was around 12. Sucker still works!

It should be OK for general wire to wire, etc. connections, though.

Paul - "The CB&Q Guy" (Happily Modeling 1969)

Reply to
Paul K - The CB&Q Guy

so it

HO Scale

but I

Matt,

Take a look at .

It's a bit pricier than a Walthers or Radio Shack iron, but I've found it's worth every penny. Or, as my Dad used to say, "You can buy a good tool once, or spend twice as much replacing cheap ones when they break. Take your pick."

I've been using this handle/45watt tip combination (the handle was blue back when it was just Ungar) for just about everything except fine PC board work going on 30 years. And I still use one on an almost daily basis at my train repair shop business.

It get's plenty hot (1,000degF), has a plated tip for extended life, and (in spite of it's apparent size) has enough mass to allow fast heat transfer for getting on & off a track feeder wire connection before the ties melt.

And best of all, the tip/heater element units can be swapped in a matter of seconds if you need a different shape tip, or lower wattage to work on PC boards.

Len Head Rust Scraper KL&B Eastern Lines RR Museum

Reply to
Len

Bruce=A0Favinger wrote: Bill, Is the Radio Shack one 60 watts? I may be wrong but isn't about 40 watts or greater what would be most useful for various model railroad projects? If you can get one at 40 to 60 watts for $8 that's not a bad deal at all. Bruce

------------------------------------------------- Bruce, the $7.99 RS soldering iron is 40w (#64-2071).

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

Excellent. Thanks Len and thans everyone for your input. I have a nice, light 15-watt pencil, but I certainly need a much hotter, faster soldering unit for feeder wires, etc.

I will compare the choices, but the Weller still seems like a very popular choice.

Thanks Again!

Reply to
Matt Brennan

One more quick response: I have a Hakko 936 with a variable temperature dial. It is a two piece unit with a power station and a fairly light weight pencil (#907). For working around the layout, it means carrying two pieces around, but for me, the variable power makes up for that inconvenience. It is not as cheap as the $10. Units, but for me, it wos worth the difference.

The difference is considerable: the Hakko I bought was about $80 at Fry's.

Ed.

in article snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Matt Brennan at mc snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 10/8/03 4:59 AM:

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

I've bought a Radio Shack 40 watt iron for about $8.00.

-- The Gratiot Valley Railroad Club bi-annual train show and sale November 2, 2003, at the Macomb Community College Sports and Expo Center. Macomb County Michigan. Please visit our Web Site at:

Frank A. Rosenbaum

I have replaced the tip on my Radio Shack iron. It just might need a gentle twist with a pair of pliers.

-- The Gratiot Valley Railroad Club bi-annual train show and sale November 2, 2003, at the Macomb Community College Sports and Expo Center. Macomb County Michigan. Please visit our Web Site at:

Frank A. Rosenbaum

There is type of anti-sieze (Ungar 8001, for one) designed for such service. It greatly reduces the problem of getting a used soldering tip off the heating element.

Dan Mitchell ==========

"Frank A. Rosenbaum" wrote:

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell