Source for a caster wheel

I hope this isn't too far off topic. I found this caster wheel that this company is using for wheelchairs built in "low income" countries. Well I would like to try that caster form some projects of my own. I called the company and that don't and won't import any of the wheels into the US so I was wonder if there is any possibility that some US supplier might have something similar. They told me the wheels they use can be 4 or 5" in diameter and are about 4" wide. Only about the center third of the wheel is supported by the hub, the outer section is fairly flexible to conform as it rolls over uneven surfaces. To get a look at it, check out this youtube video. They show the wheel up close at about

1 minutes 7 seconds into the video.

Also in the video they state that they found the wheel being used on push carts in Zimbabwe.

Reply to
Chris W

Dear Chris W:

Something like this?

search casters at
... search casters at
David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

No, nothing at all like that.

I have looked through the selection of caster wheels at mcmaster and grainger many times and never seen anything that comes close. And no wheelchair I have ever seen has anything close either. The catalog at lunacastertruck doesn't have anything significantly different than mcmaster has.

Reply to
Chris W

What is shown in the video is essentially just a wide rubber "pulley". It was not a caster, but was described as the wheel from a handtruck. So you may have to talk to the folks that made the video, and see what product they developed... if you cannot make commercial fare work for your application.

Reviewing similar images on the internet, I find some things that might get you closer...

(available from different places, too)
David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc

He is ashamed of you. He does not know you. He will not know you when you face Allah. You will join the infidels.

Reply to
dlzc