Sticking Gas Pedals

Toytoa is recalling cars for sticking gas pedals. What the average person might not realize is that current cars don't have throttle cables but have fly-by-wire systems for throttle control. In other words the gas pedal makes an electrical signal and then the car computer sets the throttle position from the signal.

Now Toyota is planning on adding throttle override systems to the cars where pushing the brake pedal and gas pedal at the same time, would disable the gas pedal. And so legislators are working on legislation to require the throttle override systems on all cars.

Are the throttle override systems a good idea ? I would say no. Adding a system on top of a problem in an increase in complexity of the overall sytem being developed and could be chaotic. Identification and correction of the actual problem is a much better and more efficient strategy. And the cars have ignition switches which the car owners use every time they use the car. Also there are advanced driving techniques of using the brake and the throttle at the same time and this technique has been particularly used by rally drivers on front- whee-drive cars. But the average person might use brake and throttle at the same time just to pull out of a mud-hole.

I don't have much of a concluding statement but will repeat that identification and correction of the actual problem is the best and most efficient strategy.

Reply to
PolicySpy

One idea for an emergency throttle override system would be large ignition kill button on the dashboard and that in addition to the traditional ignition switch. Simply killing the ignition is a safe, simple, and dependable system. The ignition kill button on the dashboard could be 1 1/2 " to 2" in diameter.

Reply to
PolicySpy

Car computers are to blame. They would rather cut away a little carpet. I know from experience. TreBert

Reply to
bert

Am I missing something or isn't knocking the car out of drive an option. Has sales of Toyota stick shifts increased or isn't that an option any more?

Phil H

Phil H

Reply to
Phil H

PolicySpy wrote in news:24146758-6148-4d2e-9fb9-998066b533c8 @t23g2000yqt.googlegroups.com:

Of course, killing the ignition also kills the power steering and power brake assist. I'm not sure about the anti lock braking system. While it is better than locking the steering during an attempt to shut things down, it doesn't seem optimal.

Reply to
Charly Coughran

Dear Phil H:

On Mar 2, 3:59=A0pm, Phil H wrote: ...

It is.

I'd put my nickle on feedback from the automatic tranny holding the accelerator pedal, while it is in some grey (forbidden) state...

This post:

... dated 2009dec02 says I am wrong. What is more, his issue says locked at a single rpm. Cruise control?

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc

How 'bout an ejection seat?? Just about as practical. If you can't build a car for $30,000 that won't kill you because of a sticking throttle why not sell gubmint mules instead?

Reply to
The PHANTOM

It'll still steer and stop. But,you may have to put your cell phone and burger down and use both hands to steer and use both feet to push the brake pedal a little harder.

Reply to
The PHANTOM

Another idea for a throttle override system would be a 2" diameter button that shifts the automatic transmission into neutral. And a manual transmission car would not need anything since it has a clutch.

But the idea of a system that overrides a stuck throttle when the brake pedal and the accelerator pedal are pushed to the floor at the same time, is a poor idea. The last thing I want to do with a stuck throttle is push it to the floor.

Reply to
PolicySpy

I was thinking about that. Were all the cars which were reported to have the problem 1. an automatic and 2. had the cruise control button on?

My car (Honda) had a recall w.r.t. the floor mats over a decade ago supposedly for a similar problem. What was weird is that no other manufacturer had to the recall. I never had the problem.

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv

No. Manual transmissions were also involved.

No indication that they were in all cases.

Corvettes had this problem, in the 1980s, I think...

It is not clear to me that there is a single cause, or even a single symptom. When something unexpected happens in your 2000# jewelry, it can take a few seconds to get back to "record mode" to be sure of the facts.

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc

Cause is computer gleesh TreBert

Reply to
bert

Shifting from drive to neutral is an option to regain control of a car that is in runaway acceleration mode.

BUT it would most likely cause engine destroying over rev'ing (a small price to pay for preventing a serious accident)

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Not if there is a lockout keeping you from doing it.

Reply to
jimp

"I'm sorry Dave....I can't do that..."

Reply to