Re: A much more potent terrorost weapon than a rocket

This is further proof that driver applicants should be fingerprinted, subjected to a background check, and have to sign an agreement that would permit BATFE agents to inspect their homes and garages at any time, day or night (to hell with that pesky Bill Of Rights). Oh, and we should make them pay for the privilege (just $50 at first, but we'll jack this up when the commotion dies down a bit, to discourage driving).

My God, what if he had DETONATED the 20 gallons of gasoline in his tank, too?

I'll bet he even had road flares in his trunk. Proof that he COULD have done it.

We're just not safe until people realize that EVERYONE is a potential terrorist, and willingly surrender our rights and liberties.

"PeteAlway" wrote:

Imagine if one of these got into the hands of a terrorist: > > (from aol news) > >SANTA MONICA, Calif. (July 17) - An 86-year-old man whose car > >plowed through a crowded farmers market, killing nine and injuring up > >to 45 others, had recently damaged his own garage with his car, police > >said Thursday. > > > >Police said Russell Weller told them he may have hit the gas pedal > >instead of the brake Wednesday, hurling victims into the air as his car > >careened down a street closed to traffic. > > If a kindly old man can do this much damage, image what a malevolent old man > could do. > > Maybe it's time to limit gasoline to 0.9 lb per car. > > Peter "in a town with a massive (500,000-visitor) street art fair going on this > week" Alway
Reply to
BB

"when I die, I want to go like my grandpa, peacefully in my sleep. not screaming and yelling, like the passengers in his car."

-- these are the good old days Cliff Sojourner snipped-for-privacy@employees.org

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

How about just adding the following question to the driver's test:

Q. If you step on the brake, and the car goes faster, what should you do? A. Press harder B. Take your foot off the gas and hit the real brake pedal. C. Enjoy the ride. D. Count the bodies flying over the top of the car.

Reply to
RayDunakin

My guess is that explosive suicide vests are cheaper and more cost effective. Plus, they probably want the terorism effect. Can you imagine the terrorist leader's disapointment when they waste a suicide bomber, an expensive vehicle, months of planning, and the only reaction to the event is to conclude that some kids foot hit the gas instead of the brake resulting in an accident? And if the public did believe such things were terrist acts, the terorists would not have to do anything except send out letters claiming responsibility for car accidents. But teroists can certainly cause a lot of real dammage and terror using in situ resources, 9/11 being one spectacular example.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

There's also the suicide angle -- instant death for the bomber, with no one left to question. A terrorist driver would be either beaten to death by the mob, or interrogated for info to be used against the organization.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Or just one question: did you vote for FDR or Wendell Willkie?

-John

Reply to
John DeMar

"Redline motors are PEOPLE!" Wait a minute... wrong movie. ;)

Or should that be "Soylent Green Gorilla"?

-John

Reply to
John DeMar

Or cause they aren't afraid to die...just afraid to die a painful death.

Reply to
Tim

bi-yearly driving examinations with medical reports.....At

NOT give up their "right" ( is driving a right? I

I'd be more interested in emergency reflex tests. How long to react to an emergency? Do they hit the gas or brake to stop? You can drive if you're deaf. But not if you're blind. Unless you got a REAL GOOD seeing eye dog :-)

frail or infirm they may be......How many times over

stepped on the gas instead of the break? DOHHHHH..... Sorry

man/woman.....

than previous generations,

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Sad thing about this Pete is (of course the loss of life and injured) the fact that if it was anyone of us young "punks" did this, we would be facing first degree murder and life in prison.

Here ion Oregon a 91 year old ran off the road and killed a mother and her 7 month old baby. God bless her in her dying moments reaching out to her dying baby and save it.

Sad, no matter which way you look at it.

KMJK=Don't believe in (another BS) government.

SO THERE

Reply to
Karl M.J. Kowert

LOL!!

"Get your damn dirty green paws off me!" ...oh wait, that's a different Chuck Heston movie. ;)

Reply to
RayDunakin

A few years ago the cops stopped a guy who turned out to be blind. He was driving his friend home, who was too drunk to drive, and the friend was "guiding" him. Guess it never occurred to them that if you're too drunk to drive, you're also too drunk to act as a seeing eye dog for a blind driver.

Reply to
RayDunakin

I was thinking about that as I posted the last one...

Bob Kaplow

There was some research done several years ago on how much reaction time increases with age. The result was surprisingly little in healthy people, so reflex time per se is usually not the issue. Of course one may react quickly and take the wrong action, e.g. stepping on the wrong pedal. Elderly drivers (at least) should be retested periodically in order to retain their driving priveleges. (At least in New York state driving is a privelege, not a right).

-Chris

------------------------------------------------------------------------ | Christopher Judd, Ph. D. snipped-for-privacy@alum.rpi.edu |

Christopher Judd

kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) wrote in news:BLT$ snipped-for-privacy@eisner.encompasserve.org:

It still would not address seizures,strokes,heart failures;all high-risks of the elderly.And I don't believe there are tests to predict seizures or strokes.

But just removing the enfeebled drivers would be a great improvement.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

They tried to in Florida.

Bill Sullivan

Reply to
The Rocket Scientist

Not just elderly...everyone. I've been hit once on my motorcycle and twice in my cage over the years. All three drivers were under the age of thirty five. The one that turned left in front of my motorcycle was twenty...that one didn't feel too good.

Reply to
Tim

bi-yearly driving examinations with medical reports.....At

NOT give up their "right" ( is driving a right? I

frail or infirm they may be......How many times over

stepped on the gas instead of the break? DOHHHHH..... Sorry

man/woman.....

Shockie, Here in Michigan, old people do have to take an eye test to get their license renewed and everyone has to take refresher written tests after

8 years, IIRC. The system breaks down though, when the Secretary of State employees coach and help the old farts pass their tests. I know because I was standing next to one that was being coached....and I was pissed. That old fool in Santa Monica had no business being on the road. And I can't believe that he hasn't even been charged with ANYTHING!!!! I'd charge him with vehicular manslaughter, felony vehicular assault,wreckless driving, speeding and anything else that I could think of. Then, I'd throw his prune-filled a$$ in jail to rot out the rest of his life. Instead, I heard on the news this AM that he didn't sleep well at home last night. BFD!!! He wouldn't ever sleep again if it was one of my family members that he killed. I'd personally choke the life out of the sucker. It's a good GD thing that I don't live in CA. I'd be in the prosecutor's face making sure that the old goat was treated the same as you and I would be if we had killed 10 people with a car. Personal accountability doesn't stop at age 65 IMHO. DAMN THAT MAKES ME MAD!!!!

Mark Simpson

I heard on the news last night, he did the same thing about 10 years ago, but no one was hurt. And he'd aparantly hit the garage several times very recently.

There is one way to possibly get these folks off the road: Insurance rates. My uncle, about 80, gave up driving a few years ago after 2 accidents when his insurance company sent his rates through the roof. Probably a wise decision, before he did something to make the national news.

My grandfather drove well into his 80s, until his doctor told him to quit. When I got my license he gave me his old car (well, old for him, 4 years,

17K miles, probably with the factory oil still in it - maintenance to him was to have someone at work hose it down) that hadn't been run in about a year. Needed to replace the battery, exhaust, brakes, and every piece of rubber on the car.

Bob Kaplow

The law is triggered by "neglegence". If he made an understandable mistake and factors were either mechanical failure, or a medical issue, or perhaps a sudden rainstorm factoring in, it is not technically neglegence.

There is not alot of "furor" locally for a conviction on this one. People do not want to be charged as criminals in their own accidents which in SoCal happens all the time.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine