Onlinemetals much cheaper than McMaster Carr

Is there an easy explanation for that? For example aluminum round rod, 6061 and 2024.

Now, both include shipping charges on the order page, great for very small orders :D

McMaster Carr shipping seems weird. The initial shipping charge for one rod is less, but jumps when another (same length) rod is added. It didn't jump like that when adding same length flat bar pieces (prior order).

Reply to
John Doe

Midwest is cheaper than Online Metals. By a lot. They are also very very very very very (maybe one more very) very slow to ship. I've canceled a few orders due to waiting weeks and weeks and weeks.

Xometry is also cheaper than Online metals on most things, but they have a fairly limited selection. They are competitive with Midwest on single piece units or atleast close, but they give no quantity discounts. Midwest smokes them on quantity. Xometry smokes Midwest on service time. They almost always ship by the next business day, and sometimes the same day.

For aluminum and stainless in any quantity at all (full bars/sheets only) Coast is the best price, and they send a truck to my town twice a month. $50 drop charge and $16 order PO processing charge. They waive the drop charges for modest size orders. Their price is good enough that I can often break even over buying from a local yard on one or two pieces. I try to stock up a little whenever I have money and I save a lot. They give a small discount at 500 and 1000 lbs. Usually I am ordering a couple hundred pounds. Like I said even for one or two pieces I tend to save over my local metal yards, and its a lot cheaper than the truck freight from XoMidCarrOnline.

For small pieces I always check McMaster. Sometimes they surprise me. (Usually they don't).

Another to check sometimes is Stock Car Steel. I used to buy precut aluminum blanks from them, but their price is only mediocre and shipping from the East Coast was always an issue. Not as bad as Midwest, but it takes time. (Nobody was as bad as Midwest for ship time.)

Stoner Materials is worth a look as is the 6061dude. Heck Ebay can be a good resource for small pieces although many Ebay sellers are charging close to retail metal yard price for their drops now. That's ok if they have the size you want, but kind of a pain if you still have to preprocess it.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

What about two pieces, 1 foot (cold rolled, 6061 and 2024) 7/16 inch diameter solid round rod for less than $20 (total, including tax and UPS ground)?

If I can find something on Amazon, that's always great for the Prime fast shipping. Amazing the little cheap things they ship in one or 2 days. And almost everybody here can get Prime for half price!

Reply to
John Doe

Huh? What are you asking? If I will go to their websites, plug in your spec, and do all possible order configurations and report back to you at your direction and convenience with a concise report on all possible options in triplicate with third party verification?

This is the reason I sometimes just keep scrolling even when I know I can help somebody. I actually like helping people, but when you GIVE somebody all the information they need to help themselves and they effectively say, "do it for me," it kind of ruins it.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

That's a "straw man".

It's a simple request, nothing like that.

Oh come on. You are shiling as much as you are helping. I recall you posting almost the same answer at least one time before. I distinctly remember some of it.

I seriously doubt it can be by "a lot" even percentagewise considering the price difference between McMaster Carr and Onlinemetals. But I accept the likelihood you are talking in general terms, like talking about ordering lots of metal at a time.

Reply to
John Doe

See if you weren't the exact kind of thoughtless and selfish jerk I pointed out your response would have been more like, "Yeah, sorry. Thanks for the help. I'll check it out." You are a typical anonymous keyboard wannabe. Safe behind your screen in your mommy's basement or maybe in the basement of Online Metals.

I didn't shill for anybody. That is a bald face lie. I own my own business that has purchased both small and medium size orders and price checked many times from all of these vendors over the course of many years. I shared my first hand experience for your benefit. I provided valuable feedback based on your comments that unless your not only a selfish thoughtless jerk, but also grossly incompetent, you could easily check for yourself. You sound much more like a shill for Onlinemetals. I have no stake in any of those vendors. Ask them. I post with my real name, and I buy from whomever gives me the best service 1st and price 2nd. Not from some online abuser who says they will also quote orders and then the quote comes in higher than their advertised prices.

Yes I am an asshole too, but unlike you I am not a selfish and thoughtless anonymous product shilling asshole.

If anything you have nudged my ambivalence about OnLineMetals towards dislike because they are associated with you. Your shill attempt failed catastrophically.

Bob La Londe Yuma, Az

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Anyway, since you obviously did not make your first post in any sincerity... K

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Demented rambling troll...

Reply to
John Doe

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorectly formatted USENET posting on Tue, 14 Sep 2021 19:23:36 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <shqsro$cl1$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorectly formatted USENET posting on Tue, 14 Sep 2021 19:25:14 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <shqsuq$cl1$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

mcmaster sucks is the primary reason.

Reply to