Full-length paper coupler tubes??

Does anyone know of a source for full-length paper coupler tubing, to fit
standard 2.56" airframe tubes? I used to get it from Rocket R&D but apparently
they are out of business due to health problems.
Reply to
RayDunakin
PML (phenolic) CTF-2.5-36, near the bottom of the 'Airframe' page.
Totally Tubular (paper) CPL-80-34:
Andrew MacMillen
Giant Leap Rocketry
click on High Power (rightmost button) click on Products on top frame click on airframes in left frame scroll down to Phenolic Coupler tubes
5" length for $2.09 36.5" length for $10.49
while your on that page, scroll down and check out the fiberglass and kevlar "socks", for seamless tube layups
Ed is a great guy to do business with, order fulfillment is very prompt and customer service is excellent. He has real pride in his work.
- iz
Andrew MacMillen wrote:
5" length for $2.15 36" length for $10.95
kraft only
4" for $1.00 34" for $9.00
Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed
I may use them but prefer paper. Even the "flexible" phenolic is too brittle for my needs, and I always have to slit a cardboard tube and glue it into the phenolic tube to make it durable enough.
Reply to
RayDunakin
from Giant Leap Rocketry, HPR -> airframes page at
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed
They may call it "non-brittle" but in my experience it's only a little less brittle than the regular stuff, and still far more brittle than paper tubes.
Reply to
RayDunakin
I agree. Don't believe everything you read just because its on a website ;-)
I'm moving away from phenolic of any type and back to LOC tubes with a wrap or two of fiberglass. I've found that phenolic (from Giant Leap) will delaminate at the seams under stress. Isn't this exactly what the HPR strength of material test showed?
That said... I sure wish I knew where to get full length paper couplers. I'm pretty sure the Red Arrow full length liners are phenolic.
RayDunak> >
Reply to
Alex Mericas
I'm thinking that LOC/Barry should take note and start offering the couplers and stiffys full length!
Reply to
Jason Andersen
BMS,
has 34 inch length coupler stock, from BT-5 to BT-80, including 24mm & 29mm. Totally Tubular may have better prices, but BMS is likely to get it there sooner, plus you could pick some cones, rings, & maybe an Edmonds kit at the same time. -- Richard Hickok
Reply to
Rhhickok
Isn't there an AT 2.5" OD tube that could serve the purpose?
Jerry
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
Do you really want a full length coupler or do you really want a THICKER TUBE?
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
Actually I want longer couplers, particularly for altimeter bays. A foot would be fine. Most of what is available is 6-8" long. I like 4 inches or so exposed on either end and then a couple of inches extra for mounting switches, etc.. Barry suggested butting two together with a body tube over the joint, but that doesn't seem too strong to me.
Jerry Irv>> That said... I sure wish I knew where to get full length paper couplers. I'm
Reply to
Alex Mericas
You know what does work well? Butting them together as he says, wrap a masking tape seal around the external joint. Use 30+ minute epoxy at and near the joint. This type of butt-joint is VERY strong.
Tech Jerry
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
I'm surprised at you Jerry! Given paper couplers, I'd think that titebond would do just as well as epoxy here. Maybe better, since it will actually penetrate the paper where epoxy will likely just grap the surface. Unless you use a real thin epoxy like System3, West, etc.
Bob Kaplow
I find that on butt joints in particular the epoxy works better. Time for a real test!
I think the problem is the thin layer of Titebond cracks easier than the layer of epoxy.
Jerry
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
Full length coupler -- very useful for payload and electronics bay construction.
Reply to
RayDunakin
Sounds like an expensive thing for a small market. That's always a problem.
Jerry
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
Perhaps Doc will test that!
Jerry Irv> >
Reply to
Alex Mericas
It is. That's how my altimeter bay kits go together. The section of body tube is the perfect place to put your vent holes and arming switch. I've never seen one fold up, even at speeds approaching mach 2.
Mike Fisher Binder Design
Reply to
Mfreptiles