More of a groan than a gloat!

I'm part way into building the new workshop. I have a garage that is so full that I have to take things out to get into it. As well as the
tools in the garage I have two lathes, Two full sized drill presses, two Jones and Shipman sensitive drills, a BCA jig borer and a Jones and Shipman 1400 surface grinder stored temporarily at work (all these are machines which need work varying from cleaning and repainting to complete reconditioning). What I _don't_ need is any more tool projects!
There was this chap on Ebay selling a Beaver turret mill in an apparently tatty but refurbishable condition, on the basis of £10 starting bid, buy it or I'll scrap it. It had taken two days to attract any bids and was still in the £112 region on the seventh and last day.
What the heck, I thought and used the wife's sniping program to set up a £142 bid. I expected the bidding to take off during the day and for the mill to go for the mid hundreds, (but you never know).
I am now the owner of a Beaver MkII VBRP mill with a 48"x10" table and an INT30 quill. It needs a complete overhaul and replacement/remanufacture of things like all the handles and some of the table feed gearbox but nothing exotic. The seller even helped me to separate the arm/head and table/knee from the column and load the bits onto _his_ trailer which I borrowed to take it all home.
It looks like this year is the year of building the new workshop and next year will be the year of rebuilding machine tools. One of these years I'll get round to serious model making but at the moment I'm just having too much fun getting prepared for it <BG>
Mark Rand RTFM
Add pictures here
βœ–

I strongly suspect that we all suffer a bit from that....:-))
Peter
-- Peter & Rita Forbes snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Engine pages for preservation info: http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:53:34 +0000 (UTC), Peter A Forbes
Only a bit Peter?! Oh lucky man indeed. GeoffH Norfolk, UK
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 09:27:54 +0000 (UTC), GeoffH

I went down to Southampton after work yesterday to collect an old Tinsley & Co Galvanometer/Potentiometer.
The vendor was a lovely Indian chap, who also had other nice items that I found it hard to resist after they were offered.
He was moving away from Soton where he worked at the Uni, up north to be nearer his two daughters, and the accumulation of years of collecting electrical instruments etc was more in volume than all his furniture etc!
I'd hate to have to move now, we have 40 tons or more of engines and machinery... :-))
-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Luton, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.prepair.co.uk
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:29:10 +0100, Prepair Ltd
That sounds more like it. GeoffH
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 08:24:02 +0000 (UTC), GeoffH

Probably getting close. Another two tons got delivered this morning. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item819405087 -- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:50:09 +0100, John Stevenson

Just a small slotter then John?
Regards, Tony
Add pictures here
βœ–

Small just isn't in John's dictionary. GeoffH
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:50:09 +0100, John Stevenson

Not a bad price either. How did you transport it? But where in the blue blazes are you going to put it? Front living room maybe . . I know some of us are cramped for space, but you really do take the cake :-) GeoffH
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:48:09 +0000 (UTC), GeoffH

Seeing as it didn't sell lets say the price was' negotiable ' before anyone gets embarrassed. Had it picked up yesterday from Lincoln on an empty artic low loader that had dropped a tarmac machine off at Gainsborough. Transferred last night to a 6 wheeled ERF with 15 ton Hiab and dropped off this morning. You don't have a truck garage for 19 years without making contacts :-) £100 for the pick up and drop off, saves a lot of hassle.
Just had a quick play with it on the yard. It's advertised as a 160mm stroke but the slide is marked up to 180mm. Tried the adjustment and it will go a gnats cock over and it will just hit 190mm [ 7 1/2" ].
The old Butler slotter is coming out and this will go in it's place. Nothing wrong with the Butler but this one is all power feeds etc and taller, the butler is a pain being so low, literally.
Tim Leech is having the old Butler for the odd job he has to do. It won't be so bad for him as he's taller then I am <bg>
-- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Watchmaking? ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com         John Lloyd - Cymru/Wales
βœ–
Well done that man, I nearly bought that -you have saved me no end of work <G>
Regards
Kevin

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 18:27:33 +0100, "Kevin Steele"

If you are feeling the need for some work I think he will have a nice little LeBlonde for sale soon (about 9" centre by 48" BC from memory). That might keep you occupied for an hour or two :-)
Regards Mark Rand RTFM
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 19:48:44 +0100, Mark Rand

Now here's snomething to really get your teeth into ;-)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item824792340&ssPageName ­ME:B:SS:UK:1
Regards, Tony
Add pictures here
βœ–

In the Western Isles!
God knows what Calmac would charge for that...
βœ–
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 09:59:23 +0100, Charles Ping

Looks like a job for Para Handy. Might make the derrick creak a bit, though.
Not sure how you use a 4ft dia chuck on a lathe which swings 33" dia in the gap?
Cheers Tim
Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock
βœ–
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:09:23 +0100, timleech <

I reckon the Vital Spark would be extinquished by that one!
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 09:59:23 +0100, Charles Ping wrote:

A frightening thought Charles. They've just relieved me of £166.10 to get my car over there in a couple of weeks time. :-(
--
Duncan Munro
http://metal.duncanamps.com /

I'm wondering where that is... possibly the Arnish yard (former oil rig construction, now wind energy, trying to get out of receivership)
"Excellent condition" indeed ... even the paint over the toolholder and its screws looks unscratched!

Yup, that would definitely sink the Vital Spark!
Though her place has been taken by an assortment of landing craft from tank landing craft downwards. Which themselves are getting on a bit, so the local boatbuilder does a good line in aluminium boats that look suspiciously like landing craft!

Oban, or Ullapool? It's a lot cheaper crossing from Uig to Tarbert or Lochmaddy... and if you happen to pass Uig, call in for coffee (or a dram!)
Slainte,
- Brian
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 12:10:37 +0100, Brian Drummond wrote:
[the killer lathe]

I was wondering if it was Arnish, then I thought it could be anywhere as it's not considered inappropriate for people to embellish their gardens with rotting 40' containers, single decker buses, etc.
Although given the 18' centre, I would say your guess is right...

It's Ullapool both ways this time, but I'll give you a shout next time I'm in Uig!
--
Duncan Munro
http://metal.duncanamps.com /