More of a groan than a gloat!

[the killer lathe]

I was wondering if it was Arnish, then I thought it could be anywhere as it's not considered inappropriate for people to embellish their gardens with rotting 40' containers, single decker buses, etc.

Although given the 18' centre, I would say your guess is right...

It's Ullapool both ways this time, but I'll give you a shout next time I'm in Uig!

Reply to
Duncan Munro

Surely not - most puffers had a hold capacity of 80 to 100 tons AFAIK. What would a lathe like that weigh? 10/12 tons?? Way beyond the derrick capacity, of course, & it would need a fair size crane to get it into the hold.

If the lathe were on one of those islands not favoured by a big ferry, I should think the removal costs would be way beyond any value it may have?

Cheers Tim

aka Dan Macphail on VIC 32 for a while circa 1980

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

No bids, looks like everyones workshop is full up already ;-)

Reply to
Duncan Munro

Well I think mine's getting close. I just bought these two.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Call that a slotter?

Find space for this one then:

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Did you spot it's the same seller as the 18' centre lathe...

Reply to
Duncan Munro

Seller? Surely shome mistake. Non seller I'd say.

Charles Ping

No power feed I don't know why he bothers with where they are situated. They won't even make scrap given the cost of moving them, either complete or in pieces. He stands as much chance of selling these as I do of getting Gert to sweep my floor.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Maybe he's looking to sell _directly_ to India or China.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

One of the more worrying aspects of jobs shifting abroad, is that so many far-east countries are jumping in to full NC stuff without going through the initial non-computerised stages that we had in this country and Europe.

Old Herbert and Ward lathes were a respectable export for people here, but that seems to be dying away as more and more brand-new machinery gets sold directly into China and Malaysia, which means that while up to 50% of our car content used to come in from overseas, it is going to be closer to 80% soon and rising.

Europe is going to be in a spot soon if it doesn't achieve a balance between manufacturing here and exporting most of its jobs to the far east.

When China finally catches up on wages and facilities with Malaysia etc., where is the next cheap labour country going to be ??

Peter

Peter A Forbes

He is also doing a nice line in horezontal boring machine!!

Brian James

Reply to
brian

In message , Mark Rand writes

The Indians are almost as fussy as the Chinese now. A machine tool dealer I recently did business with told me they will take nothing earlier than 1997 now.

The Chinese in many cases have better machinery than found in UK shops.

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

Probably Europe/USA ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

That lathe must be as high as my house. I wouldn't like to move it.

Reply to
Neil Ellwood