textbooks

Friends I am a mechanical engineeirng student 2nd year.I want to know names of a few "must-have" textbooks which you feel every mech student should have.

Reply to
thequark

How about the books that your instructors require for your classes. Beyond that there aren't any books that are "must-have."

Reply to
YouGoFirst

well, I'm a 3rd year student, and so far the textbooks I've kept and refer back to a *lot* are:

Calculus, the early transcendentals, by Howard, Anton ( I used this at my school for every 200-level math class I took, it's a really good one)

Physics for scientists and engineers, by Serway, Beichner

My 2nd year statics and dynamics books also.

good luck, kw

Reply to
k wallace

Machinery's Handbook, Industrial Press.

Don

Reply to
Don A. Gilmore

Like I said, buy the books that you need for you classes. You will often need books from previous classes for your current classes. I know this because I finished a MS degree 3 years ago. Somepeople may say to get other books, but for the most part you will only need them for a Sr. design project, which you are probably 2 years away from right now.

Reply to
YouGoFirst

the ones I kept coming back to are...

Marks' standard handbook for mechanical engineers. Avalone / Baumeister. (beware - not totaly metric though - however if you only ever buy one book personally I'd make it this one. It covers 'everything') dare I say though that if you were to search certain file sharing networks (cough cough...emule...cough cough) then you might find an electronic copy - depending on your scruples.....

Mechanics of fluids - Massey.
Mechanical Science - W Bolton. Basic stuff - beams, stress and strain vibration - etc. (not expensive at at all..if you are 2nd year you may be beyond this...)
Newnes ' mathethematics for engineers' pocket book. - small enough to slip into the back pocket of your jeans but damn handy.
Newnes 'engineering materials' pocket book.
Mathematical formulae - J.0 Bird. Had this since school - dirt cheap and packed with maths reference stuff.
£4.24 BARGAIN!!

Reply to
simon