Vacuum pick/place End Of Arm Tools

Hi group,

We need to pick/place 5X5X1mm chips from trays to an electrical programming socket. Chip positioning accuracy in the tray is not very high. Where to find appropriate vacuum pick/place End Of Arm tools ? Should rubber vacuum cups or metal nozzles like in chip mounter machines be used ?

Thanks,

Dieter

Dieter Tank

Accurate pre-positioning would seem to be key. If not by a vibro-hopper, then by a dispenser that lines them in a single file. This gives excellent positioning against a stop. If the planting force requirement is not excessive, even a home-brew rotary arm with a pneumatic planter might do it.

Brian W

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

I have used SMC vacuum equipment and found it reliable. Below is their USA web site. They are a Japanese company and I am sure they have representatives in Germany.

You should have a vacuum switch that inhibits movement until the cup has sealed onto the chip. This makes the pick up more reliable. When you place, you should apply a brief puff of compressed air through the cup after turning off the vacuum to make the place more reliable. SMC has all the hardware to do this.

Reply to
Charles Erskine

snipped-for-privacy@control-tech.com (Charles Erskine) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Your local Festo dealer also has all the equipment for this.

Reply to
Anthony

Thank you all.

I have looked at SMC, Festo, SKF et all and found cups, venturies...

But it is hard to estimate, whether a mispositioned chip on a rubber vacuum cup falls off and jams when guided into a precisor/socket guide. Rubber cup or steel nozzle ? How much tolerated mispositioning in trays ?

Dieter

Dieter Tank