Vapour absorption air conditioning for automobiles

I am doing a project on implementing a vapour absorption air
conditioning system for automobiles. Collected a lot of information
which supports that this system can be implemented. There are a few
drawbacks though. For example the vapour absorption systems are much
more heavier than vapour compression systems.
How can you actually find out the weight of the system without actually
implementing it and also what are the options available to make the
system lighter? Is there any particular site on the net where you can
get all the information related to this problem? Ive been searching for
quite some time now without much luck.
And finally, is this system actually possible? Or will it just end up
theoretical?
Reply to
ajay
ya really vapor absorption sustem has much more advantages than VC i m also planning the project on it we can make it lighter by proper material selection
Reply to
jas
I thought this sounded like a crackpot at first, but then it grew on me. Not a bad idea...but, as with most obvious ideas that were never implemented, there must be a catch somewhere. The working fluid might freeze in the winter.
If you could design a heat exchanger to transfer heat from the engine coolant to your vapor solution, you could theoretically cool the car with no compressor (and help cool the engine in the process!).
Hmmm...
Don Kansas City
Reply to
eromlignod
Um...that's a heater, right?
We're talking about refrigeration that works like the old gas refrigerators. A lot of people used to have them. My grandparents had one made by Servell. They made air conditioners like that too. They may still make them.
I once stayed in a cabin with no electricity that had a refrigerator where you had to light a little kerosene lamp and put it in a hatch at the base. Once the kerosene was burnt up, the ice box would stay cold for about 24 hours as it continued through its ammonia absorption cycle.
Don Kansas City
Reply to
Don A. Gilmore
Dear Don A. Gilmore:
They do. Used in motor homes quite a bit.
Problem for the OP is that these cycles require large equipment for the amount of cooling achieved, and are generally intolerant for having "up" redefined by accelerations.
David A. Smith
Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)
Well the design of a heat exchanger to transfer the coolant heat and the exhaust heat is our main plan. There is another problem with this system, the cooling depends on the engine rpm, so when the engine is idling, the cooling effect will be brought down. The heat from the coolant and the exhaust pipe will itself may not be enough. Are there any simpler heat sources for such situations? This and the design of the heat exchanger seems to be the major areas to tackle. As for the CRACKPOT idea, it did occur as a cracky one initially for me also. I couldn't really find the CATCH...... but guess it must be there somewhere.... lol....
Reply to
ajay

Site Timeline